Lazy Boy on Campus: Time always ticks on

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

Despite how caught up you may get in your own lazy world, the world keeps spinning and life goes on. Unfortunately, all of your responsibilities will be waiting for you when you return back to the real world. (Michael Himbeault/Flickr Creative Commons)

I have talked about a lot of negative things attached to being lazy, but do you want to know what the worst thing about being lazy is? At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how caught up you get in your “lazy-boy” world, the world keeps spinning. What I mean is that at the end of the day, life moves on. There are two sides to this coin.

The first is, that of course, whatever you avoid by being lazy will still be there when you come back. Being lazy just means that we take some time for ourselves to just really relax and in some cases avoid responsibilities for the time being. But at the end of the day, those responsibilities are still going to be there. The world still has to function even when everyone wants to be lazy.

In terms of all of us, no matter how lazy we are, we still have to pass our classes. We can’t avoid all of the important things in our lives and must figure out exactly how relaxed we need to be and how much we need to recover in order to actually get some real work done. We know ourselves better than anyone else and we know exactly when we need to pick ourselves up to get back to work.

The other and more important side to this coin is that at the end of every single day, the sun will rise to bring forth a new day. Even as responsibilities remain, time continues to tick on by. Some people may see this as bad. After all, every minute spent being lazy is another minute that could be dedicated to actually getting something done. But if you’re a follower of this column, then you know that I don’t really fall into that line of thinking. Like I say in every single column, being lazy is the time that we take for ourselves to recover from everything going on around us.

All of us run into times that are so trying that we don’t think that we will be able to recover, no matter how hard we try. Right now that’s how I feel and I’m sure how many of you feel. With graduation moving closer every day, trying to find a job and the sh*t-show election we just had, I’m feeling like nothing can really go right. I also don’t think that I can really be any lazier. There is way too much going on and way too much on the line to actually step away for too long.

That’s why remembering that time moves on is so helpful. No matter how bad everything gets, no matter how down on your luck, remember that the sun will still rise. Everything takes time to get better but it eventually gets there. Sure, you might have to be a little less lazy now and then but that will all eventually come to pass.

If I’ve learned anything in all 21 years of my life, it’s that time will always tick on. When the sun rises, the next day we will always have a fresh and clear mind and start with a clean slate. And with that clean slate comes the ability to start over and take a new crack at whatever caused you to need a break in the first place.  

Right now, almost everyone’s world is in a state of complete disrepair, but don’t worry, it’s going to get better. It’s as certain as the sun rising tomorrow.       

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.