Toast, Four Corners gives a great off-campus option for students

The toasted BLT was made to perfection, not that one can screw up a BLT, but it was toasted well and the bread was slightly buttered to add to the flavor. The Caesar salad was nothing too special but it was filling and a good complement to the rest of the meal. (Chris Hanna/The Daily Campus)

Just yesterday I decided to take a visit just off campus to a little restaurant called Toast, Four Corners on the four-way intersection between I-191 and Route 44. After hearing a great deal about the restaurant from friends and seeing a lot of Instagram posts from other students who ate there, I knew I’d have to try it out for myself.

After a short two minute trip to the intersection, a friend and I entered the restaurant to a friendly greeting from Toast’s waitresses, who seated us and checked in on how we were doing often without rushing us out. That type of service was a refreshing start to a meal when a lot of places try to get you in and out of the restaurant as quickly as possible. Also, the restaurant was decorated with plenty of UConn flags and other memorabilia that made it very welcoming to UConn students.

Upon taking a look at the lunch menu, I saw that there was an option similar to Panera’s “You Pick Two” called the Half-time Lunch Combo. In the combo, you get to pick a half sandwich from “The Usual Suspects” with choices such as the overstuffed toasted BLT on your choice of bread, an egg salad sandwich, the roasted turkey sandwich, etc. served with French fries and a pickle, along with a cup of the soup of the day, homemade chili or a small Caesar or garden salad all for about $8.50.

This made it an easy choice for me as I love BLTs and the deal was fantastic. On the side I got the Caesar salad with chicken, while my friend got the egg salad with the homemade chili. The toasted BLT was made to perfection, not that one can screw up a BLT, but it was toasted well and the bread was slightly buttered to add to the flavor. The Caesar salad was nothing too special but it was filling and a good complement to the rest of the meal.

However, the best part of my time at Toast, Four Corners was unquestionably the French fries and the homemade chili. The French fries were thick cut and crisped to perfection, while the chili topped with shredded cheese had a sweet taste at first with an incredible kick of flavor. It was so good that I would go back just to buy a bowl of the chili as my entire meal.

While I went for lunch, Toast, Four Corners is also known for its fantastic breakfast dishes and specials such as “The Pile” which is a breakfast casserole that starts with a layer of home fries and is topped with two eggs, blended cheeses and toast. Customers that come in for breakfast can also order egg sandwiches, pancakes, waffles and omelets, among other brunch favorites.

One of the few concerns with the restaurant is its location and its hours. Although it’s not too far from campus, it would be much more convenient if it was in Storrs Center, since most of the patrons are UConn students. As for the hours, Toast is only open from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on the weekend. This makes it very difficult for students to get out to the restaurant during the week, and even during the weekend when students like to sleep in. However, Toast does plan to add an “After Hours” schedule and will begin serving dinners soon.

All in all, I give Toast, Four Corners a 4.5 out of 5 rating for its fantastic service and flavorful food, along with a great UConn atmosphere. The previously mentioned concerns are pretty trivial in my rating because the food is too good to pass up and I would recommend the restaurant to anyone at UConn. It is definitely worth the visit.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu.