UConn in the NFL: Former Huskies provide a spark

Indianapolis Colts' Jordan Todman (28) celebrates after running back the opening kickoff for a touchdown during the first half of an NFL football game against the Green Bay Packers Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016, in Green Bay, Wis. (Mike Roemer/AP)

Several former Huskies made their alma mater and current NFL teams proud on Sunday. Nov. 6. From Jordan Todman providing a spark with a kickoff returned for a touchdown to Darius Butler picking off Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Adams intercepting Carson Wentz, it was a good week for UConn alumni.

Todman showed off his speed early on Sunday afternoon when he took the opening kickoff 99 yards to the house.

The struggling Colts headed into the game with a 3-5 record and were clearly the underdogs against the Rodgers-led Packers. Luckily for them, Todman was up for the challenge and set the tone early.

Colts head coach Chuck Pagano was thrilled with the start of the game.

“No better way to start a game than a kickoff return … Jordan Todman … for a touchdown,” Pagano said (http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Coach-Pagano-Full-Press-Conference-11-7-2016/85674a46-146e-43db-80e0-475ad347efab)

Butler, Todman’s current Colts teammate, also had himself a stellar game.

As the Packers were attempting a comeback, Butler was able to make a spectacular diving interception in the early third quarter, preserving their lead.

Undrafted rookie Adams had a huge game for the Giants against the Eagles on Sunday and was rated third overall by Pro Football Focus. He is rated behind only Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald in the entire NFL.

Adams intercepted Wentz early on in the game, led the team in tackles with nine and defended two passes.

One of Adams’ defended passes came with 42 seconds left in the fourth quarter and the Eagles down 14-3. Star wide receiver Jordan Matthews broke wide open and if he caught it, it would’ve been a touchdown but Adams was there to knock the ball down.

Adams believes he belongs in the NFL despite having gone undrafted and this past Sunday, he looked like he belonged.

“Even though I was undrafted, I knew I was going to play in this league,” Adams told the Hartford Courant. “I knew I had to be me, keep my head down, listen to the coaches and do all the right things. Just focus on what I need to do.”

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu