Women’s Ice Hockey: Huskies take a win against Brown

Forward Kelly Harris (22) attempts to score during the Huskies 4-2 victory over Penn State on Oct. 22, 2016 at Freitas Ice Forum. Following the Huskies victory on Tuesday night, the women's record improves to 7-4-1. (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut women’s hockey claimed victory against Brown Tuesday night at Meehan Auditorium.

The team had a lot of opportunities early on but Brown’s defense performed well against the Huskies. They finished the first period scoreless, UConn outshooting Brown 11-7.

The Huskies were down on a power play in the second period but saw impressive saves from Morgan Fisher and Lindsay Roethke to prevent any scored goals. In the ninth minute, UConn scored their first goal off the stick of freshman Leona Sim. The period ended 1-0.

Two minutes into the third period, Brown tied it on a goal from Cynthia Kyin. Six minutes in UConn was up on a power play and scored on a Leah Lum goal. Brown failed to score on a power play opportunity and went on to give up an empty net goal to Theresa Knutson with 30 seconds left in the game.

UConn took this game 3-1, improving to a record of 7-4-1. Freshman Morgan Fisher got the winning goal, her third of the season.

The Huskies now have the weekend off; they’ll play again at Freitas Ice Forum on Nov. 18.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu