Early Monday finals delayed for snow at UConn Storrs

In this file photo from February 2016, a student walks in front of Gampel Pavillion. Finals before 10 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 12, 2016 have been postponed ahead of a predicted snowstorm. (Jason Jiang/Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Storrs, Hartford, Waterbury, and Law School campuses will have delayed openings on Monday for forecasts of a snowstorm, according to a UConn Alert email. Final exams starting before 10 a.m. will be postponed; exams starting at 10 a.m. will proceed as planned.

Information on postponed exams can be found at the Registrar’ website.

Stamford and Avery Point will follow schedules as planned.

For Storrs, the National Weather Service forecasts snow mainly after 9 p.m. Sunday night with a 100 percent chance of perception and 1 to 3 inches of new snow accumulation.

Monday is forecast to have some freezing rain and between a quarter and a half-inch more accumulation.

In an email to the university community dated Nov. 28, Dean of Students Eleanor Daugherty explained the university’s policies and practices on cancellations and delays for weather:

“A decision to close the university or cancel classes is a last resort.  If we do, students will be notified through UConn’s alert system found at alert.uconn.edu.  The Emergency Closing Policy for the University is located online. Commuting students are encouraged to use good judgement and not travel to school when road conditions are treacherous.  Dining, Residential Life, UCPD, and Facilities are filled with staff committed to providing for your welfare even during the most severe weather emergencies.”

Chris McDermott is the news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.