Football: UConn reunites with Randy Edsall, brings him back as head coach

Former Maryland head coach Randy Edsall instructs his team against Ohio State during the second quarter of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015, in Columbus, Ohio. Edsall was hired to return to the helm of UConn football just days following the firing of Bob Diaco. (Jay LaPrete/AP)

Randy Edsall is returning to UConn.

After famously leaving the Huskies in the dust following UConn’s loss to Oklahoma in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl, Edsall is back at helm of the Huskies’ program, hired once again as head coach by athletic director David Benedict just days following the firing of former head coach Bob Diaco.

“Certainly as I look back on it, I wish I had done things differently in that instance,” Edsall said in a press release. “I completely understand and respect that there are loyal fans, supporters and former players that still have not forgotten and it will take time to forgive. I have many incredible memories of my time at UConn and I hope the fans do too. It is my goal to get us back to that level of success and I hope that all of the Husky fans out there will be along for the ride.”

The news of Edsall’s hiring was first reported by TMG Sports and was later confirmed by the Hartford Courant.

“Coach Edsall is the right fit for our university, football program and student-athletes,” Benedict said in a statement. “He led UConn to its most successful period in the history of our football program, and I believe he will provide consistent leadership and long-term success once again.”

Edsall went 74-70 in 12 seasons his first stint with UConn, guiding the Huskies in their transition to Football Bowl Subdivision football and leading the program to to five bowl appearances and two Big East conference championships. After UConn, Edsall posted a 22-34 record as head coach at Maryland before being fired midway through the 2015 season. He is currently the director of football research and special projects for the Detroit Lions.

“It is an honor to have the opportunity to rejoin and lead the UConn program,” Edsall said in a statement “I want to thank President Herbst, Athletic Director David Benedict and the rest of the administration for believing I am the right person to build this program and develop its student-athletes. I look forward to working with David, our student-athletes and the entire athletic department.”

Edsall will officially be introduced as head coach this Friday, Dec. 30 at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field at 11 am. The press conference will be open to the public.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering football and women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.