Huska saves the day for the Huskies

Adam Huska in goal on Sunday, October 23 against against AIC. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

After some shaky games earlier in the season, freshman goaltender Adam Huska is settling nicely between the posts for the Huskies.

Throughout the first half of the season, the 6’5 freshman has rotated with senior Rob Nichols in goal, but this weekend, when the Huskies took on 3/4 UMass Lowell in a home series, Huska started both games. The goalkeeper made 65 saves in the series against the River Hawks.

“He was okay,” head coach Mike Cavanaugh said jokingly when asked about his goaltenders’ play on Saturday night. “I just think he’s seeing the puck really well right now, I thought he played excellent last night and he was seeing the puck really well so I decided to go back with him today.”

In Saturday’s game, Huska weathered a bevy of shots, especially in the third period with UConn and the River Hawks trading attacking chances throughout the period.

“In the third period Adam made some tremendous saves, so did their kid Metcalf, he made some excellent saves as well. It was back and forth and I don’t think the fans got cheated tonight that’s for sure,” Cavanaugh said.

As the season has progressed, the native of Slovakia has looked increasingly comfortable in goal and his record shows it.

Huska has spent the last two seasons playing for the Green Bay Gamblers of the United States Hockey League, the top junior hockey league in the United States. Over the last three years he has also competed in the World Junior Championships for Slovakia. Despite his impressive background the goaltender has noticed a rise in the level of play in the Hockey East.

“This hockey is really fast and the guys are older and smarter, it’s just really fast,” Huska said.

When the Huskies return to action Friday night to take on UMass Amherst, it will be interesting to see if coach Cavanaugh sides with experience (Nichols) or the hot hand (Huska) in goal for UConn.

Huskies dialed in against UMass Lowell.

UConn continued its undefeated run against the River Hawks this weekend stretching the streak to 5 games, which includes 4 wins.

“It’s funny how that happens with certain teams. I think we’ve had a little success against them and then our kids start believing we're going to beat them. I don’t know if I have an answer for it, I just think sometimes you play really well and there's a matchup and you might play really well against that team and we match up pretty well against them,” Cavanaugh said. “I’d like that to be the case with everybody like Geno does, he plays well against everybody. So I’d like to get the program to the point where we are able to do that with a lot of teams.”

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.