Women’s Hockey: Huskies split the weekend series against BU

The ladies pulled out a 2-1 victory at Walter Brown Arena on Saturday, Dec. 3 against Boston University after their 4-1 loss at Freitas on Friday, Dec. 2.  Saturday’s win was the first victory the team has had over BU since the 2009-2010 season.  (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus)

After a 4-1 loss to Boston University at Freitas on Friday night, the UConn women’s hockey team pulled out a 2-1 victory Saturday at Walter Brown Arena. Saturday’s win was the first victory the team has had over BU since the 2009-2010 season.

Game One began with a good deal of back-and-forth play. Both teams had an aggressive offense and solid defense. The first period ended scoreless with BU outshooting UConn 12-7.

“They’re a quick team, they really make you skate,” UConn Head Coach Chris MacKenzie said on the physicality of the game.

The game started to turn south for the Huskies in the second period, when three BU goals were scored within 10 minutes. BU’s Sammy Davis and Mary Parker each got one during even play, and Nina Rodgers scored on a power play. The period ended with BU serving out a penalty that would continue into the first 38 seconds of the third period.

Thirty seconds into the third period, BU committed a second penalty. There were about eight seconds of 5-on-3 play in which UConn’s leading scorer, Leah Lum, managed to capitalize and score UConn’s only goal of the game. With two minutes left in the game, UConn pulled goalie Annie Belanger in favor of another offensive player. There was fast, aggressive play by the UConn offense but BU managed to get the puck away and score an empty-net goal. UConn’s Erica D’Errico was injured on the play.

“We’re not 100 percent sure, we’re going to have it looked at and x-rayed, but right now it looks like a high-ankle sprain, which could be anywhere from four to six weeks,” Mackenzie said on the injury.

UConn would take the loss in game one by a score of 4-1.

Game two switched venues to Boston. Belanger played in net on short rest. Despite being outshot in the first period, UConn’s Kelly Harris managed to score on a power play in the 17th minute.

The Huskies were outshot again in the second period, 14-8. In the fourth minute, BU’s Davis scored on a power play, tying the game. However, still a man down in the fifth minute, UConn scored a short-handed goal off the stick of Marisa Maccario to go up 2-1.

This score would go final as UConn wraps up the first half of their schedule.

“I’m happy with a lot of things. I’m happy with my team. I love working with them, our coaching staff loves working with them. We just need to get over that hump. There’s teams that are rated in the top ten, and we need to start knocking them off,” MacKenzie said of the first half.

UConn finishes the first half 9-6-3, with a record of 4-3-1 against their Hockey East opponents. The Huskies will play again on Jan. 2 against Northeastern.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.