Dining halls to host special dinners for finals week

Special meals are presented in McMahon Dining Hall for the holidays. Special meals can be found in many dining halls over the next week. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Most dining units at the University of Connecticut will host special dinners this week and during finals week.

“Between the rapidly approaching holidays, the end of the semester and upcoming finals, it’s a good time to celebrate in a big way,” Susan O’Keefe, the area manager for Buckley dining hall, said.

Buckley dining hall will have a Holiday Feast on Wednesday Dec. 7. Buckley will also have finals specials under the tent from Dec. 11 to Dec 15.

“Finals specials include offering hot appetizers, decorate your own cookie and other fun and delicious things going on during dinner,” O’Keefe said.

O’Keefe said students generally like the dinners and appreciate the change from normal dining offerings during finals.

“The students love the meal and the decorated dining room,” O’Keefe said, “It’s a nice change of venue during a stressful and busy time for them.”

On Dec. 8, North dining hall will be having its holiday meal called “Follow the North Star.”

Students will be able to decorate gingerbread cookies at Northwest on Dec. 13 during lunch time, 11:00 a.m. until 2:15 p.m., or until the dining unit runs out of cookies.

“We like doing these because we understand the stress the students are under during finals,” John Kuhl, the area manager of the Northwest dining unit, said.

On Wednesday Dec. 14, South dining unit will have a special dessert section.

“A display table with holiday cakes, cookies, cheese cakes and candies will be out for all of South’s guests to enjoy,” Stephen Anthony, South’s area manager, said.

Whitney and McMahon will have special desserts and candies all week.

Gelfenbien dining hall had a special dinner last Thursday and will not have any additional events this semester.  

The dining units offer various special meals throughout the year such as a Royal Wedding themed dinner or meals related to major movie releases such as Star Wars.

“The fun ones are to break the monotony of the everyday life for the college student and let them enjoy fun foods and or activities during the dinner,” Kuhl said.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.