Michael Palascak gets laugh at final fall SUBOG Comedy Show

Stand up comic Michael Palascak performs in the Student Union Theatre on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016, giving UConn students one final laugh of the semester. (Mustafe Mussa/The Daily Campus)

‘Last Comic Standing’ contender Michael Palascak brought some much-needed laughs to the University of Connecticut's Student Union Theater Wednesday night, discussing cheese, marriage and discount airlines before a modest audience during the stressful last week before finals.

Palascak, who appeared on ‘The Late Show with David Letterman’ and ‘Conan’ was the star of the Student Union Board of Governors comedy series for the fall semester.

After opening comedian and UConn student Pete Garcia warmed up the crowd with several Bob Diaco jokes, Palascak took the stage, discussing several everyday topics, including religion.

“I’m a practicing Catholic,” he said. “I haven’t been to any games yet.”

The comedian bantered with the audience, having a conversation about nature of grapes with a student attending the show, who claimed eat 17 for breakfast.

One of Palascak’s topics included Google Maps. Since he was on the road all the time, he said, he had grown fond of the app.

“I love Google Maps,” he said. “No matter how far you are from somewhere, it’ll tell you how long it’ll take to walk there. Yeah, great. I’ll walk from Chicago to Cleveland in six and a half days. I’m not doing anything this week. I might as well become a missing person.”

One story that drew several laughs was about Palascak’s time at a grocery store.

“I haven’t been in an action movie,” he said. “I have been in a grocery store that’s about to close. I feel like it has a similar countdown.”

The comedian went on to recount the time he was inexplicably given a free piece of cheese from the deli counter. Not knowing what to do with it and unwilling to eat it, Palascak said that he pocketed the cheese, hoping that he wouldn’t get caught for shoplifting and being forced to reveal his ‘pocket cheese.’

Another topic Palascak joked about was his relationship with his girlfriend, Sam.

“She told me she hasn’t been broken up with before,” Palascak said. “She shouldn’t have told me that, because I am very competitive.”

Students who attended the show said that Palascak was relatable and that the show an entertaining way to relax before final exams.

“It was a nice way to spend the night,” first-semester biology major Kimberly Diaz said. “I came to take a break from studying.”

SUBOG Comedy organizers said that they encourage students to attend the shows, since it adds to the atmosphere and makes the event more entertaining.

“I think more people should come to these standup events,” first-semester engineering major and member of SUBOG Comedy Nick Roche said. “They’ll be more fun if more people come.”     

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.