USG approves election packets for spring 2017

The undergraduate student government met for it's biweekly senate meeting in the Student Union ballroom on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016. Items on the agenda included discussion of legislature to speed up discussions and legislature that allowed the speaker of the senate, deputy speaker and parliamentarian the power to spend a portion of the budget. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) held a special Senate Wednesday night to agree on their Elections Packets for the spring 2017 Senator and Chair elections.

In this brief meeting at the Student Union, Speaker of the Senate George Wang quickly went through an informal voting procedure to finalize any changes within the contents of the packet.

The Elections Packet was completely revised last year, and only one change was made this year pertaining to how they allocate seats to the different committees, Wang said.

All candidates for USG Senate will need to submit a packet.

“The Elections Packets are the packets of rules and regulations pertaining to USG elections,” Wang said. “In addition, each candidate needs to fill out different forms within the Election Packets. That includes the petition to get on the ballot.”

There are also six committees comprised of both elected and non-elected members that are a part of USG. However, there is no need to be a part of a committee prior to elections in order to be eligible for candidacy.

“Any fee-paying, undergraduate student who hasn't been on academic probation for two semesters in a row can run for a seat in USG,” Wang said.

This year, the elections will be part of a joint election in which many different organizations will appoint and reappoint members at the same time.

Last Friday, Public Relations Director Seeya Sodani attended the Joint Elections Committee meeting as one of the representatives for USG.

“We discussed different strategies such as, creating maybe a day entirely to voting,” Sodani said.

The committee has been discussing new ways to make students more aware of who is involved in the elections, and hope to get more participation in the Spring 2017 running.

Sabrina O’Brien is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at sabrina.o’brien@uconn.edu.