Letter to the Editor: In response to a letter published Dec. 7, 2016

Dear Editor,

The "Letter to the Editor" printed in the Daily Campus on Wednesday, December 7, 2016 is not only infuriating to those in the LGBTQ+ community, but also has the ideals of someone stuck in the past.

I am, first off, confused by the line that states, "Someday people in the future are going to look back at this era and wonder how the homosexual movement even got off the ground". I'm sorry, has it not been established that homosexuality is not a choice or a "movement"? 

Secondly, I am confused as to how this letter made it to The Daily Campus at UConn. This "Wayne Lela" redirects to an organization named H.O.M.E. This, unsurprisingly, stands for Heterosexuals Organized for a Moral Environment. This group also refers to those who support homosexuality as "ignorant liberal bigots"; even though they, too, are showing signs of blatant bigotry. I'm surprised that the Daily Campus would allow such an idiotic entry to be printed. 

The part that I really cannot wrap my mind around is the fact that this "Wayne Lela" claims that the United States needs to rise up against those "who believe it's okay to discriminate against and make criminals of decent moral people"... Is this not exactly what the author of the letter is doing to LGBTQ+ community members? 

These 5 brief paragraphs are full of hypocrisy, hatred, and poorly constructed sentences.

In conclusion, get your mind out of the gutter, "Wayne", and get with the times.

-A Very Angry Activist, Liza Rice