Students share their best studying locations on campus

Students hit the books and prepare for exams by studying in the library. Homer Babbidge Library is the number one spot for students to go to prepare for finals. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s bi-annual student scramble for a quiet and unoccupied studying location begins as finals week approaches, starting Dec. 12.

The Homer Babbidge Library, tried and true, is the go-to locale for many students and, as a consequence, proves difficult to find a study space.

Students begin to look elsewhere and find there are more desks and tables than the ones found  at the library.

“I like studying in the classrooms of the chemistry building,” said fifth-semester chemistry and classics major Steven Kolakowski. “It's a lot quieter than most buildings near the center of campus, so there's less time waiting for a classroom to use and less noise. Also, when I take breaks I like to sit out by Swan Lake for a bit and reflect.”

Other popular study locations on campus include academic buildings, which typically have open classrooms. UConn students noted popular buildings as Pharmacy/Biology, Gentry, Math Science Building, Oak, Beecher and Austin.

“Beach Hall has a ‘cavern,’ which is just a study room for geoscience majors and people taking geoscience classes,” said third-semester environmental studies major Stephanie Camp. “It's usually not too full, it’s cozy and quiet.”

If a student doesn’t prefer to travel to study, one may want to consider staying close to their dorms.

“I live in Goodyear in Northwest which has study rooms on the first floor,” said third-semester engineering major Natalie Krebs. “I like to study there because they're decently sized so you can spread yourself out and you study easily with other people in the building.”

A recommendation for students during finals week is to stay well-fed so they may want to consider staying close by a dining hall for a source of food.

“Sometimes I like to study in the dining hall,” said third-semester history major Matt Talley. “The chatter and bustle turns into white noise, I can get food if I'm hungry and I have a virtually infinite supply of coffee.”

“I recently have been utilizing the study rooms in NextGen Hall,” said fifth-semester psychology and sociology major Madison Grady. “I live in Hilltop dorms so it is close and it is new and from what I’ve seen so far they're usually not crowded.”

Students may study within administrative buildings in designated lounge areas as well if they do not prefer academic settings.

“The reading room in Wilbur Cross,” said third-semester political science major Christopher Walker. “It reminds me of the Yale libraries I would study in back home.”

If studying on campus is not possible, off-campus businesses such as Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts also offer areas to study for patrons in a focused atmosphere with a supply of food and drink.

Neel Razdan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at neel.razdan@uconn.edu.