Women's Basketball: Huskies look to dethrone second-straight undefeated team on road

Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma yells to his bench after a turnover during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016, in South Bend, Ind. Connecticut won 72-61. (Robert Franklin/AP Photo)

After going into South Bend and defeating the No. 2 Notre Dame Fighting Irish for their 84th straight victory, the Huskies (8-0) will head out to Manhattan, Kansas to play the undefeated Kansas State Wildcats (9-0) this Sunday. Out of their eight victories, UConn has beaten five ranked teams, including No. 2 Notre Dame and No. 3 Baylor.

Although Kansas State is unbeaten this season, they are unranked in both the AP top 25 and the USA Today coaches poll. According to the last polls released on Dec. 5th the Wildcats received 48 votes in the AP poll, the second most without being ranked, and six in the USA Today coaches poll. Part of the early season success for the Wildcats is due to their early season schedule as they have only played one ranked team, No. 23 Auburn, and have only played one game on the road.

The Wildcats last victory came on Wednesday against the UT-Arlington Mavericks behind a big fourth quarter. On the season, they have averaged 70.3 points per game and their highest score this year was 83 against the Chicago State Cougars. Impressively, Kansas State has only allowed 50.4 points a game as they have held their opponents to a 30.5 percent shooting percentage from the field.

Leading the way for the Wildcats on the year are Kindred Wesemann and Breanna Lewis who averaged 14.9 and 14.8 points a game, respectively. Wesemann has made a team-high 28 threes and has made a team-high 24 free throws on 88.9 percent shooting from the charity stripe. Lewis is the team's leading rebounder with 9.1 per game and shoots a team-best 69.8 percent from the field.

The Huskies have now won eight straight games to start the season and 84 straight dating back to the last two seasons. They are 3-0 on the road and on the season have averaged 79.9 points per game, outscoring opponents by a 22.5 point margin. The leading scorers through eight games are sophomore Napheesa Collier with 19.1 points per game and sophomore Katie Lou Samuelson who has scored 19 per game. Collier, who leads the team with a 67.7 percent shooting percentage from the team, has also led the team in scoring four times.

The game will start on 2 p.m. this Sunday night, as this will be UConn’s last game until the 19th when they host Ohio State at the XL Center. With a win, against Kansas State, this will be the Huskies 28th straight road win. The record is 30 in a row by UConn (2007-11) and Notre Dame (2011-15).

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.