Women’s basketball transfers find success at new schools

Pictured: UConn vs Post University in the 2014 exhibition game.  In 2014, UConn freshman Sadie Edwards transferred to USC after playing six games in order to receive more play time.  (Stephen Quick/ The Daily Campus)

Over the last couple of seasons, the UConn women’s basketball team has had a few players transfer out of their program. The most notable of these players is former WNBA MVP and Olympic gold medalist Elena Delle Donne. After having been the top women’s basketball player in the 2008 recruiting class, Delle Donne withdrew two days into her summer session before freshman year. However, Delle Donne was able to find great success outside of UConn at the University of Delaware, where she was their leading scorer during her senior year.

More recently though, UConn has had three players transfer: De’Janae Boykin, Sadie Edwards and Courtney Ekmark.

Boykin transferred to Penn State prior to the start of the spring semester last season. Before that she had not played in UConn’s first eight regular season games. Coming out of high school, Boykin was a McDonald’s All-American and a three-time gold medalist in international competition. Her teammates in the 2014 Youth Olympic Games women’s 3x3 were current UConn players Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier. This season, the sophomore forward has not played in any games for the Nittany Lions.

Edwards spent the fall of 2014 at UConn before transferring to USC in January of 2015. While at UConn, she played in six games and averaged 4.8 minutes per game. During her sophomore season at USC she made her debut on Dec 18 after becoming eligible to play. She appeared in 22 games and started the last 20. Edwards was the team’s third leading scorer with 11.3 points-per-game and was a Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention. This season, as a junior, Edwards averages 9.8 points-per-game and 1.8 rebounds in 21.0 minutes per game.

Ekmark announced her transfer to Arizona State University after the 2015-16 season. Ekmark won two national championships with the 2014-15 and 2015-16 teams. During her sophomore year at UConn, Ekmark averaged 2.0 points, 1.1 rebounds and shot 44.6 percent from the floor in an average of 8.9 minutes per game. Ekmark will be eligible to play next season after sitting out this season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.