Your guide to the 2017 Grammy nominations

In this Feb. 24, 2016 file photo shows Adele onstage at the Brit Awards 2016 at the 02 Arena in London. Adele, who has five Grammy nominations, announced Tuesday, Dec. 6, including album, song and record of the year. (Joel Ryan/Invision/AP, File)

Dec. 6 arrived, and so did the nominations for the 2017 Grammy Awards, which air on Feb. 12. The nominations contained a mix of surprises and expected choices (we’re looking at you, Adele and Beyoncé), but nothing quite as lackluster as the 2016 Grammys. While there are too many categories to cover the full extent, there are definitely a number of heavy hitters that everyone will be sure to tune in for. Here are the categories you won’t want to miss:

Album Of The Year

“25” by Adele

“Lemonade” by Beyoncé

“Purpose” by Justin Bieber

“Views” by Drake

“A Sailor’s Guide To Earth” by Sturgill Simpson

Already, the competitive atmosphere of 2017 is obvious; Adele and Beyoncé, two iconic powerhouses, both decided to release albums within the eligibility period. Justin Bieber comes as no surprise, but Drake’s “Views” is an interesting choice, acting as the representative for the rap industry. More surprising is “A Sailor’s Guide To Earth,” from country artist Sturgill Simpson, who could be the Beck of the 2017 awards, meaning Beyoncé better watch her back. The selection is diverse and manages to sum up the 2016 musical year well. Who will most likely take home the prize? No doubt one of the mononymous divas.

Prediction: “25” by Adele

Record Of The Year

“Hello” by Adele

“Formation” by Beyoncé

“7 Years” by Lukas Graham

“Work” by Rihanna feat. Drake

“Stressed Out” by Twenty One Pilots

Adele and Beyoncé stick it out for another high-ticket award, but this time they’re joined by newcomer Lukas Graham, whose hit “7 Years” rocketed to the top of the charts earlier this year. Does it have the power to beat out “Hello” or “Formation?” It’s not likely. “Work” is a cute suggestion, but the raunchy anthem hardly has as much prowess as its opponents. And “Stressed Out,” one of the biggest songs of 2016, manages to secure a spot in this category, a great feat for Twenty One Pilots. Adele and Beyoncé are given a run for their money in this category, but “Hello” and “Formation” are too big of anthems to not prevail.

Prediction: “Hello” by Adele

Song Of The Year

“Formation” by Beyoncé

“Hello” by Adele

“I Took A Pill In Ibiza” by Mike Posner

“Love Yourself” by Justin Bieber

“7 Years” by Lukas Graham

This is where things might get interesting. Adele and Beyoncé are still out here representing along with Lukas Graham, and Mike Posner and Justin Bieber also make appearances in the category, but the latter two don’t have much potential to win. Looking at the songs in detail, it is very possible that Adele and Beyoncé could both take a backseat in this award; “Hello” would be a first choice, but “7 Years” is extremely powerful, and although wasn’t likely to win Record Of The Year, it very well could snag this category through its emotional lyrics and inflated popularity throughout the year.

Prediction: “7 Years” by Lukas Graham

Best New Artist

Kelsea Ballerini

The Chainsmokers

Chance The Rapper

Maren Morris

Anderson .Paak

If you look closely, one of these things is not like the other. Oh, that’s right—The Chainsmokers are a duo with four songs currently in Platinum, with the two that are up for Grammy nominations both four times platinum. The same can’t be said for the other nominees, but the only one who could stand a chance against The Chainsmokers is Kelsea Ballerini, a country artist with one in Platinum. But with “Closer” dominating the charts, it is difficult to imagine the DJ duo to be defeated.

Prediction: The Chainsmokers

Best Pop Vocal Album

“25” by Adele

“Purpose” by Justin Bieber

“Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande

“Confident” by Demi Lovato

“This Is Acting” by Sia

This category marks Adele’s fourth out of five nominations and she is already projected to win a majority of them. Justin Bieber and Demi Lovato don’t stand much of a chance, with neither having as much presence as the rest of the competition, but there is plenty of potential in Ariana Grande and Sia. Grande and Sia both had an incredibly successful year, both doling out big hits—like “Dangerous Woman,” “Into You,” and “Side To Side,” and “Cheap Thrills” and “The Greatest,” respectively—and securing a spot in the 2017 Grammys, both artists’ first nominations since 2015. The only question is, whose artistry is more deserving of the award? Only time will tell, but Adele is one tough kingdom to conquer.

Prediction: “25” by Adele

The Grammys, of course, are much more vast in scope, but this handful of categories gives a taste of what’s to come on Feb. 12. Start placing your bets on who you think is going to come out victorious, because the competition is going to be tight in 2017. Or, this could be a repeat of 2012 and we can just start handing everything over to Adele. Only time will tell.

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.