Women' Hockey: Huskies, behind Lum, sweep Vermont

Forward Leah Lum battles for the puck during UConn's 7-3 loss against Northeastern on Jan. 23, 2016. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Led by sophomore Leah Lum, the UConn women's hockey team swept Vermont on the road this weekend. The Huskies won by scores of 2-1 and 3-1, completing a season sweep of the Catamounts.

The two faced earlier this year. The Huskies won 3-2 on Nov. 20.

With the pair of wins over the weekend, UConn sits in fourth place (17 points) in Hockey East standings with six games to play in the regular season. They have a three-point lead over New Hampshire.

Lum had a weekend to remember,  finishing with five total points on four goals and one assist.

In Friday's game, UConn took an early lead. Lum scored three minutes into the first period. The Catamounts tied the game toward the end of the first period.

A second period goal by Margaret Zimmer sealed the win for the Huskies. Sophomores Madison Badeau and Lindsay Roethke assisted Zimmer’s goal.

UConn goaltender Elaine Chuli made 31 saves and earned her fifth win of the season.

On Saturday,  Lum opened scoring once again for the Huskies as UConn took another first period lead.

Despite killing two Vermont power plays in the first period, the Catamounts were able to break through on the power play in the second period.

Shortly after, the Huskies’ leading scorer Theresa Knutson notched her 22nd point of the season. The score was Knutson’s fifth power play goal of the season.

Lum assured the Huskies victory with a late goal.

Once again, Chuli was a calming presence for the Huskies in goal. With 24 more stops on Saturday the senior ended the weekend with 56 saves.

With the wins the Huskies now have a 7-8-3 record in Hockey East play.

After this weekend’s road trip UConn begins a four-game home stand next weekend with Boston College and Providence and then two games against Maine in two weeks.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.