Chef Master Supreme: Chicken, Tomato and Kale Quiche

The final product. (Margaux Lea/The Daily Campus)

As a commuter, I sometimes get tired of having to cook for myself every day, and since take-out is a tempting but expensive option, I had to find a cheap and easy alternative. This week, I’m sharing my favorite quiche recipe of the moment. Quiches are truly underrated: they’re easy and quick to make, fairly cheap and they make for a great on-the-go meal that can last for a few days. This recipe will be a chicken, tomatoes and kale quiche, but you can get quite creative with your fillings. The classic, as a reminder, is bacon and chopped onions.

You will need:

-a round pie pan, the deeper the pan, the more filling you will have to make.

-8 eggs (10 if using a deep pan.)

-1 cup of milk

-1 piecrust

-1 cup of mozzarella

-Chicken

-Tomatoes

-Kale

-Garlic powder

-Salt

Cook the chicken, kale, and tomatoes like so. (Margaux Lea/The Daily Campus)

-Pepper

Start by pre-heating the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Dice the chicken up in small pieces and cook it thoroughly. Sauté with garlic powder the diced tomatoes and chopped up kale along with the chicken by adding them once the chicken is no longer pink.

In a bowl, whisk the eggs until they begin to froth a little. Add the milk, mozzarella, salt and pepper. Once the chicken, tomatoes and kale are done, add them to the bowl.

Spray the pan with some oil or butter and place the piecrust in it carefully. Fold the crust over the edges to keep it in place.

Pour the mixture into the pan, making sure that the fillings are evenly spread throughout the quiche.

Cook at 425 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

Margaux Ancel is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at margaux.ancel@uconn.edu.