Men's Basketball: Huskies look for 4th win in a row

Sterling Gibbs surveys the court during UConn's 85-67 win over ECU at Gampel Pavilion on Feb. 7, 2016. (Ashley Maher/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s basketball team is looking to win their fourth straight contest when they head to The City of Brotherly Love to take on Temple.

The Huskies are looking for revenge after Owls’ guard Josh Brown hit a game winner to give Temple a 55-53 victory at the XL Center on Jan. 5.

UConn (17-6, 7-3 The American) blew out East Carolina 85-67 win in their last time out. Daniel Hamilton led the way on Sunday, putting up 12 points and grabbing 16 rebounds. He was named American Athletic Conference Player of the Week honors on Monday. Reigning league Freshman of the Week Jalen Adams matched a career-best with 14 points and added four assists in the victory.

The Huskies are 6-6 all-time against Temple dating back to the 1950-51 season.

The Owls (14-8, 8-3 The American) are also riding a three game win streak. In their last time out, they knocked off UCF, 62-60. Temple is led in scoring by guard Quenton DeCosey at 16.5 ppg, while forward Jaylen Bond is the leading rebounder 7.9 rpg, and Brown is tops in assists with 4.5 apg.

Look for the Huskies to maintain their strong defensive performance. They have held opponents to under 40 percent shooting from the field in 10 consecutive games. They are second in the nation in opponent’s field goal percentage, 36.8 percent. UConn is currently ranked fifth in Adjusted Defense in the KenPom system. The team also ranks in the top-10 in free-throw percentage, 76.4 percent, and scoring defense, 61.4 ppg.

A win in Philly would be big for the Huskies. The two schools are separated in The American standings by mere percentage points. UConn is getting into the tough part of their schedule. Getting a season split with the Owls would be a nice place to start.

Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Thursday evening at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia. 

Elan-Paolo DeCarlo is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men's basketball. He can be reached via email at elan-paolo.decarlo@uconn.edu. He tweets @ElanDeCarlo.