Column: NBA All Star Weekend Predictions

Houston Rockets' Patrick Beverley, left, drives the ball against Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry during the first half of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2016, in Oakland, Calif. Curry was the winner of the 2015 Three Point Contest and Beverly won the Skills Challenge. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

I cannot wait to enjoy the NBA All Star game while everybody is out running with their heads chopped off looking for flowers and chocolate this weekend. You do not have to choose between your significant other and the NBA. There are many alternatives. Buy them NBA league pass, order take out, or my favorite, lie to them about who is playing in the halftime show. Do whatever you can to watch the game because All Star weekend is going to be legendary. You do not want to miss it. Here is a sneak peak of all lovely predictions.

Skills Challenge

The reigning champion Patrick Beverley is my pick for this year’s Taco Bell Skills Challenge competition. The reason is because Beverly is one of the only guards in the contest. Point guards and shooting guards normally dominate the skills challenge field, however this year the field consists of a lot of high profile big men. Contestants include DeMarcus Cousins, Draymond Green, Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns. Beverly has a clear advantage when it comes to making the three-point field goal at the end of the event. He shoots 40 percent from downtown. The feisty Rockets shooting guard also has an leg up due to the fact that he has already won the contest. He will be going at full speed trying to defend his title.

The Three Point Contest

The three-point contest will probably be the most highly anticipated event of the weekend due to all of the lethal shooters participating. Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and James Harden are just few names that highlight the field. The reigning MVP, Curry, is obviously the favorite. The man is simply on a mission this year. He wants to win everything, and quite frankly, he can. Curry is shooting a remarkable 45 percent from beyond the arc. I can’t see anybody stopping him. However if someone were to upset Curry it would be Thompson, not Harden. Harden’s release is simply too slow for this competition. 

The Dunk Contest

I will just go right out there and say it, the dunk contest has been the worst part of NBA All Star weekend for the past couple years. There has not been a dunk contest worth watching since the Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson showdown of 2009. With that being said, I am going to go out on a limb and pick Andre Drummond of the Detroit Pistons to take home the trophy. Drummond is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He is averaging 17 points and 15 rebounds per game. I feel like he may have something to prove. The dunk contest is the place where players can make a brand over night. Someone like Drummond could truly erupt on to the national stage with a big night on Sunday.

All Star Game

I am picking the West to win the All-Star game. They are simply the better team. They have all of the best players, outside of LeBron James. They have won four of the last five All Star games; and I believe it will be five of the last six after Sunday concludes. 

Eddie Leonard is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He tweets@EddieLeonard23. He can be reached via email at edward.leonard@uconn.edu