UConn, Storrs businesses plan for Valentine’s Day shoppers

Valentine's Day candy boxes are seen in Sweet Emotions candy store in Storrs, Connecticut on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016. The store will be offering free delivery on orders over $10 on the holiday this weekend. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Valentine’s Day Weekend brings a flurry of shoppers to Storrs businesses and it’s the leading holiday for flower stores such as UConn Blooms and The Flower Pot.

UConn Blooms, located next to Towers Residence Hall, is expecting to sell approximately 750 rose stems and 40 to 50 mixed bouquets.

Jim Palmieri, the manager of UConn Blooms, said Valentine’s Day is their biggest holiday. They are delivering on Saturday and Sunday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. There is a $7 delivery charge, and orders must be placed 24 hours before delivery.

The Flower Pot, located in Storrs Center, offers delivery until 2 p.m. on Valentine’s Day. The Flower Pot charges a $10 delivery and service charge.

“Orders on Valentine’s Day and Mothers’ Day are close to tied,” said owner Jessie Richard who expects a really busy day.  “Dollar wise it’s close, but Valentine’s Day is more crazy for us because it’s just one day. For Mothers’ Day we send flowers through the whole week.”

Price Chopper also offers floral arrangements, baked goods and chocolates through the weekend. The weekly advertisement has more information.

Roses are seen in The Flower Pot flower store in Storrs Center in Storrs, Connecticut on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

For the college student on a budget, Price Chopper is the way to go. A dozen red roses and a vase will be $39.99. UConn Blooms is offering the same package for $60, and The Flower Pot for $80.

“Last year we were unprepared,” said Price Chopper floral department employee Jennifer Terranova. “Valentine’s Day is definitely the floral department’s busiest holiday. We ordered many more bouquets this year in hopes to not lose out on sales like last year.”

Sweet Emotions, the candy store in Storrs Center also takes part in the festivities. The store will be offering free delivery on orders over $10 on the holiday. The company offers a dozen chocolate roses gift basket in addition to other romantic and humorous baskets.

Other options are available around the area, including the Edible Arrangements in Willimantic and Wild Flowers of Tolland.

On campus organizations such as UConn Habitat for Humanity, Kappa Phi Lambda and the Rolling Tones are offering candygrams, flowergrams and singing Valentines. More information can be found through the Daily Digest.

Claire Galvin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.