A single’s guide to Valentine’s Day

Finished lollipop hearts cool on the table after being hand-shaped. With Valentine's Day fast approaching the workers at Sweet Pete's Candy in Jacksonville, Fla., are busy creating lollipop hearts, chocolate covered strawberries, caramel corn, and other treats as they try to keep up with demand for their stores and online orders. (Bob Mack/The Florida Times-Union via AP)

So you’re single on Valentine’s Day, huh? It’s not the end of the world, really. There is no shame in it. If you’re not sure what to do with yourself on that day, you’re in luck because here is your guide to get through it.

Hit up the bar scene

If you’re at least 21 years-old, spend Valentine’s Day with your real valentine, Ted(‘s). Chances are high that there will be many other single people at the bar that you can mingle with. Nothing brings people closer together than alcohol and good music. And for those of you who aren’t 21 yet, firstly I’m sorry and secondly, if that is the case just download Tinder or whatever app people are using these days. There will definitely be plenty of lonely hearts on there.

Treat yourself

One of the best things about being single is that you do not have to spend any of your hard-earned money on a significant other. Ladies, buy yourself your own flowers and chocolates. Fellas, spoil yourselves with tickets to your favorite sporting event.

Take yourself out on a date

People are less likely to do this one because of the stigma of being alone, but honestly, it is one of the most gratifying things you can do once you actually do it. Coming from experience, I am the only single one in my friend circle so while they are too busy hanging out with their baes, instead of me sitting at home and sulking that I’ll be forever alone, I’ve taken myself out to the movies. You get the popcorn to yourself, you don’t have to talk and you can just focus strictly on the movie playing in front of you. You might even just like it a lot more than going with others.

Make a move on your crush

There really is not a better time, unless of course, your crush just so happens to be in a relationship, but if they are single like you then talk to them! You have no excuse. You are both single, it is Valentine’s Day. Tell him/her some kind of corny pickup line, he/she will probably love it.

Try something new

Go on a spontaneous road trip or take up a new hobby. Do something you wouldn’t normally do, step out of your comfort zone, discover new things you didn’t know you liked.

Spend time with friends

Galentine’s Day, right? Get your Beyoncé on with all the single ladies. And guys, play video games or whatever it is that you do.

Devote Time to Something You’ve Neglected

Maybe you’ve got a stack of books sitting on your book shelf that are waiting to be read or your guitar is collecting dust because you haven’t given it any attention. Whatever the case might be there is probably something you used to do that you have not had the time to do in a while. Do it now.

Cook yourself dinner for one

Food is a sure way to anyone’s heart so what better way to win yourself over than by going outside of the ordinary and cooking yourself a delicious meal. The best part, you don’t have to share. Side note, if you’re in a dorm room order take out from your favorite place or get crafty and uses that microwave for something other than popcorn.

Remember, Valentine’s Day is literally like any other day in the calendar year. Do not let it bring you down. In the words of Justin Bieber, “You should go and love yourself.”

Angie DeRosa is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu. She tweets @theangiederosa.