Quick Hits: Butler honored, Huskies survive Tulsa over weekend

Saturday night belonged to Caron Butler, who became a Husky of Honor at halftime, but the Huskies also delivered a bounce back win. Earlier in the day, freshman forward Max Letunov cemented himself in the UConn hockey record books. Meanwhile, 7-foot-1 center and UConn commit Zach Brown took a trip back home to Miami and Rodney Purvis surprised a local family with his kindness.  

UConn commit Zach Brown goes home to Miami

7-foot center recruit Zach Brown recently transferred to Putnam Science Academy in Connecticut, but he made a trip back home to Miami this week. Brown’s departure back to Miami was not a disciplinary issue from PSA, but rather a preplanned trip to deal with a personal issue. Brown returned back to PSA this weekend and should resume playing immediately.

Caron Butler joins Huskies of Honor

Sacramento Kings forward Caron Butler became a Husky of Honor on Saturday night during a halftime ceremony at Gampel Pavillion. His number three jersey was placed up on the wall with other UConn legends and he addressed the crowd after a video tribute to his career. Butler, sporting a custom UConn suit, thanked Jim Calhoun for taking a chance on him despite his troubled past.

Letunov ties UConn freshman points record

UConn hockey forward Max Letunov tied the UConn freshman points record with two assists against the defending national champion Providence Friars on Saturday. Letunov now has 33 points on the season, but the Huskies dropped their second game to Providence in two days. Providence won 4-0 at home on Friday and 3-2 on Saturday at the XL Center.

Good guy Rodney Purvis continues to make fans in Storrs

Rodney Purvis has a reputation as a player everybody can root for. A recent good deed likely earned Purvis even more supporters. One of his biggest fans, Conor Griffin, an 11-year-old boy who recently suffered a traumatic brain injury while playing basketball, got the chance to meet Purvis and attend one of his games. Griffin’s parents are extremely thankful for the kindness Purvis has shown their son during a tough time.

UConn fights off Tulsa for bounce-back win

The UConn men’s basketball team survived a comeback from Tulsa to pick up a 75-73 win at Gampel Pavilion on Saturday. The Huskies moved to 18-7, 8-4 in The American, on the year and passed Tulsa (16-9, 8-5 American) in the conference standings. After a tough loss to Temple on Thursday, it was a much-needed win for UConn.

Aaron Esposito is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men’s hockey. He can be reached via email at aaron.esposito@uconn.edu.