Review: 'Deadpool' an R-rated ride to hilarity

Most people don’t realize that “Deadpool” is a love story at its core. A touching tale of a man’s quest to win his girl’s heart over and then rescue her from the clutches of a nefarious villain. Sounds like a perfect movie to watch with your significant other on Valentine’s Day.

Granted, the man in question is a merciless mercenary that has no qualms about gutting his rivals like fish. Also granted, the lover in question is a prostitute.

Moreover, it’s not so much a noble quest as it is seeing Ryan Reynolds kill several henchmen in increasingly horrifying and hilarious ways.

Then again, that’s a more preferable kind of love story.

The Deadpool film that we’ve all been waiting for has arrived, and man, it knocked my expectations out of the park. There’s no holding back in terms of lude scenes, cursing, violence, abandonment of traditional superhero values and reckless driving - and it was great.

Ryan Reynolds plays his role to a T: a snarky, revenge driven, slightly insane mercenary who cares for nothing more than his kidnapped girlfriend and ruthlessly chopping his way through anyone standing in the way. His face, due to horrific experimentation, looks like something out of a Wes Craven movie.

The jokes, in part, play on the typical superhero tropes everyone expects, while still remaining sharp. True to the timeless tradition of “The Merc with A Mouth,” the fourth wall is broken in multiple and riotous ways. Also, in the noble Deadpool tradition, it lampshades the hell out of everything.

This is all within the very first ten minutes of the film, mind you.

What makes ‘Deadpool’ a great flick, though, is the fact that it doesn’t try to be a superhero movie or even a redemption story.  Wade Wilson is, at times, a tool. He’s not the kind of guy that you’d want to sit down and have a drink with. He kills some innocent people. He creates mayhem. He doesn’t forget, or forgive, any wrong done to him. But by God, it is beautiful to watch.

20th Century Fox

The supporting characters are all equally diverse and snide in their delivery: T.J. Miller and Leslie Uggams play their respective parts as the snarky friend/loser Weasel and the landlady Blind Al quite well.

Supporting protagonists Brianna Hildebrand and Stefan Kepicic as Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Colossus mainly serve as peripheral ass-kickers in Deadpool’s revenge-filled rampage, along with reminding us that, yes, this is a Marvel movie, in the same universe as “X-Men.”

Despite their limited screen time, they manage to bring some extra heroic dynamic to the plot, as well as counter Wilson’s unfettered morals. While I won’t reveal any spoilers, the interactions between Deadpool and Warhead are comedy gold.

The villain Ajax, played by Ed Skrein, is a British, pretentious and an all-around bad person. There’s not much to his character beyond that, though his actions during the film’s origin story sequence help cement your loathing for him.

Although Ajax's sidekick, Gina Carano playing Angel Dust, serves pretty much as an upgraded superpowered mook, she gets a few pretty good one-liners and scenes that are worth a laugh.

All in all, “Deadpool” is a winner. It’s witty, self-referential, dirty and just plain fun. Like Betty White, I give it four out of four Golden Girls. Go see it this weekend. Hell, make it a date. 

If your partner complains, just tell them that it’s a rom-com. You wouldn’t be lying.

Marlese Lessing is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu.