USG vice president Adam Kuegler to run for student trustee

In this file photo, Undergraduate Student Government Vice President Adam Kuegler speaks during a senate meeting at the UConn Student Union on April 29, 2015. Kuegler will run for the student seat on the UConn Board of Trustees, which will be vacant starting next semester. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Vice President Adam Kuegler announced he will run for the student seat on the UConn Board of Trustees, which will be vacant starting next semester. 

The position will open after David Rifkin, current trustee, leaves after this semester. The board bylaws were changed last semester stated that students in the position needed to be enrolled for the entirety of their term. Rifkin will be graduating this spring, ending his term. 

Other candidates include Juan “Freddy” Santiago, a senator from the West Hartford campus student government and Christine Savino from the Storrs campus. 

Kuegler said he hopes to bring his experience as USG external affairs chair to the position as an advocate for students. 

“I’ve been fortunate to have had a lot of opportunities to serve in a lot of leadership roles on campus and build a lot of experience and again a lot of connections and want to apply that experience at that level of the university,” Kuegler said. 

One of the reasons I feel this is such a meaningful position is because I am serving as a channel between the students and the governing body.
— USG Vice President Adam Kuegler, on running for student trustee

If elected, Kuegler said he would advocate for greater transparency on the Board of Trustees, something the group has recently come under fire for. The students deserve to see the process of how their money is spent, not just the final numbers, Kuegler said.

To that end, Kuegler said he will advocate for less executive sessions and post any agendas and documents on social media pages for students to view and weigh in on. He plans to voice this student viewpoint to the rest of the board, which is reflected in his campaign slogan, “breaking boundaries and building bridges.”

“One of the reasons I feel this is such a meaningful position is because I am serving as a channel between the students and the governing body,” Kuegler said. 

Kuegler said as external affairs committee chair and Vice President of USG, he has worked with other student leaders to advocate for things students need. Accomplishments he thought were most notable were organizing students to testify at the capitol to reduce UConn budget cuts, improving wait times at the Center for Mental Health Services and advocating for sexual assault prevention on campus. 

“I’m looking forward to talking to students and student groups,” Kuegler said. “The best ideas come from the student body as a whole. I don’t have all the answers and I feel that’s why it’s so important to listen to students."

Nicholas Shigo is associate news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nicholas.shigo@uconn.edu.