Women's Basketball: UConn remains undefeated with win at Temple

Connecticut's Breanna Stewart (30) reaches for the loose ball as Temple's Ugo Nwaigwe (5) and Erica Covile (1) is guarding her during the first half of an NCAA basketball game, Sunday, Feb. 14, 2016, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola)

The second meeting this season between the No. 1 UConn Huskies and Temple in the American Athletic Conference looked nothing like the first.

On January 16, Temple was blown-out of Gampel Pavilion by the Huskies, falling 104-49 in what was an embarrassing showing for Temple.

On Sunday, the effort for Temple was much improved, but UConn’s duo of Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson proved to be too much to handle as the nation’s top ranked team won 85-60 to extend their winning streak to 61 games.

Jefferson led all scorers with a career-high 25 points. The senior point guard also dished out eight assists and had eight steals.

Stewart was, once again, excellent all around scoring 24 points, with eight rebounds, seven assists, six blocks and four steals.

Donnaizha Fountain was the leading scorer for Temple with 15 points.

Temple made sure to get off to a much stronger start this time around, taking a 5-4 lead early at home. Temple was energized in front of their home crowd. After a layup from Morgan Tuck tied things up at 8-8, UConn was able to go on an early run.

The Huskies went on an 11-0 run that was capped off by a four-point play from Jefferson to give themselves a 19-8 lead. Temple did not back down however, they kept things close the rest of the quarter as UConn had a 23-16 lead after the first.

In the second quarter Temple made a run of their own. They opened up the quarter on a 7-1 run to cut the deficit to 25-23. Temple took the lead again with a three-pointer that put them on top 28-27. Stewart responded right away with a post-up layup to regain the lead.

UConn took the lead for good with a jumper from Katie Lou Samuelson that put the Huskies up 32-30. UConn finished the half on a 10-0 run to lead 40-30 at the break.

UConn was able to push the lead to 14 after the third quarter with some hot shooting. The Huskies shot 59 percent from the field as a team in the game while holding Temple to 31 percent from the field.

By the fourth quarter, UConn had just too much talent for Temple to compete in the long term. The Huskies benefited from a great game off the bench from Gabby Williams. Williams had 19 points and 11 rebounds while going a perfect 9-for-9 from the field.

The Huskies remain undefeated all-time in the American.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu.