Women's Hockey: Seniors go out with sweep of Maine

The UConn women's hockey team celebrates a goal against Maine at Freitas Ice Forum on Saturday Feb. 13, 2016. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team could not have dreamed of a better ending for their seniors as the Huskies swept Maine in a home and home series.

After defeating the Black Bears earlier this season 2-0, UConn continued their dominance winning 2-1 and 4-3 this weekend.

It was also senior weekend as the team’s seven seniors were honored both days.

Those honored include Brittany Berisoff, Leah Buress, Elaine Chuli, Caitlin Hewes, Allie Hughes, Cassandra Opela and Margaret Zimmer.

“They’re a group of people that are leaving this program better then they found it and it’s been a pleasure to coach them for three year and I appreciate them for buying into what we are trying to do,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

On the ice, the seniors could not have asked for a more exciting last series in Storrs. On Friday night the Huskies (14-13-5, 10-9-3 Hockey East) won an overtime thriller.

In the first period after a scramble in front of the Maine (10-21-2, 6-17-1 Hockey East)  goal, sophomore Leah Lum knocked in a rebound.

Throughout the game both teams had chances, including leading scorer Theresa Knutson. Knutson hit the post on a power play in the second period.

Elaine Chuli continued her great play this season as well and was once again a wall in net for the Huskies.

Halfway through the third period Maine tied the game. Despite a couple of good opportunities, the Huskies could not finish any of them and the game went to overtime.

Mid-way through the overtime period senior Leah Buress scored the game-winning goal.

“It was pretty exciting, I don’t score much and it is always exciting to win in O.T.,” Buress said.

The second game of the weekend was also a close and exciting game.

Brittany Berisoff opened the scoring when she picked the puck up in her own zone and diced her way through the defense before putting away the first goal of the game.

Shortly after Berisoff put in another thanks to a nice pass by Hewes.

Right before the end of the first period Maine scored one of their own cutting UConn’s lead in half.

Halfway through the second the Huskies once again took a two goal lead as Zimmer scored on a slap shot.

Early in the third, Maine again attempted to mount a comeback scoring seven minutes into the period. Once again the Huskies responded this time through junior Kelly Harris.

In a last ditch effort to tie the game the Black Bears pulled their goalie and were able to score a goal to cut the lead to one goal, but they couldn’t find an equalizer.

Fittingly seniors played a big role in the game as they played a hand in nine total points.

With 33 saves Chuli broke the Hockey East all-time career saves record.

“We’ve played Maine more than we have any other team in the league, quite honestly every single time we play them it’s a battle,” MacKenzie said.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.