Husky Road Dogs looks to increase participation as race draws near

The logo for the Husky Road Dogs, a half-marathon training team run through UConn Recreation. (Courtesy/Road Dogs Website)

Participation numbers for the Husky Road Dogs have decreased this year yet officials remain unconcerned.

“We are excited for our participation numbers,” Assistant Director of UConn Recreation Michael D’Alfonso said. “With a week left for registration we would love for anyone still interested to join up.”

This year’s number registered participants is 71 so far, according D’Alfonso said. Yet, Caitlin Eaton-Robb, a sixth-semester biomedical engineering and Spanish major, and a Road Dog participant, estimated last year’s participants to be around 90.

This is despite the claim on the UConn Recreation webpage, which states that “we’re going to be bigger, better and faster.”

“Road Dogs is a half marathon training group hosted by UConn Recreation to prepare for the third annual Middletown Half Marathon,” said D’Alfonso. “During the week we host a number of short mileage runs and also a Friday morning cross training class or recovery session.”

According to the UConn Recreation website, members pay a fee of 70 to 75 dollars in order to cover the costs of the program, which is open to both the UConn and local communities.

Despite the alleged decrease in numbers, the Husky Road Dogs still limit their advertising through social media, flyers, the UConn Recreation website and the Daily Digest, D’Alfonso said.

On their website, the group’s aim is stated as “fun, camaraderie, and motivation will always be the focus of our group.”

This view was mirrored by at least one of its members.

“While I do enjoy running as a solo activity, it has been nice to be part of the social side of running,” Eaton-Robb said. “I joined Road Dogs to be a part of a running community here on campus and to maintain the motivation to run during the winter.”

Sarah McNeal is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at sarah.mcneal@uconn.edu.