Women's Basketball: Huskies host Bearcats to Play4Kay

Forward Gabby Williams grabs the ball away from an East Carolina defender during UConn's 92-46 victory on Feb. 6, 2016. (Bailey Wright/The Daily Campus)

The No. 1 UConn Huskies will look to remain undefeated when they host Cincinnati today in an American Athletic Conference matchup that will be UConn’s Pink Game in the Play4Kay campaign.

The Huskies have been rolling as of late with a 61 game winning streak that extends to last season. They are led by senior forward Breanna Stewart. Stewart was just named conference Player of the Week for the fourth time this season after performances in wins over South Carolina and Temple.

Stewart is averaging a team-high 19.9 points per game, which is also good enough for second most in the conference. Stewart also leads the team in rebounding, averaging 8.3 rebounds per game.

In addition to Stewart, fellow senior Moriah Jefferson has been playing well as of late. Jefferson is coming off a career high 25-point performance against Temple. Jefferson is the catalyst for the UConn offense as she leads the team with 5.7 assists per game.

Jefferson is currently 14 points shy of tying Tamika Williams for 26th place on UConn’s all-time scoring list at 1402 career points. If Jefferson keeps up her recent offensive performances, that number is certainly attainable against Cincinnati, as she has been averaging 14 points per game this season.

Jefferson and Stewart are just parts of a dominant UConn offensive unit that leads the nation in points per game. The Huskies are averaging 88.8 points per game while also shooting 53.1 percent from the field, another NCAA best.

UConn has also been elite defensively this season. The Huskies are giving up 49.2 points per game, the lowest total in the nation. Outscoring opponents by an average of 39.7 points per game, UConn has been dominating opponents this season with their combination of elite offense and defense.

As great as the Huskies have been this year, Cincinnati has struggled as much. Cincinnati enters the game on a four game losing streak to conference opponents. Cincinnati averages just 57.5 points per game while allowing opponents to score 71.2 points per game.

The Huskies will be looking to improve to 16-0 all-time against Cincinnati. UConn won the first matchup of the season 107-45 in a game where eight players were able to reach double-figures in scoring.

It is likely that Geno Auriemma will once again go deep into his bench against Cincinnati to give reserves major minutes. A specific player to watch off the bench is Gabby Williams who is coming off a 19-point game against Temple where she went 9 for 9 from the field.

The game will tip-off at 7 p.m. and can be seen on SNY.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu.