Athlete Spotlight: A sit-down with 6th man Rodney Purvis

Junior Rodney Purvis averages 13.3 points per game, is majoring in communications and admires NBA player Russell Westbrook. (File photo/Daily Campus)

Rodney Purvis has been one of UConn’s most consistent players all season long. He is the team’s second leading scorer, averaging 13.3 points per game. He began the season in the starting lineup, but he has recently come off the bench over the last few weeks.

He is still getting the same minutes per game and producing the same amount. For this week’s athlete spotlight, we got to know Purvis a little bit better off the court.

DeCarlo: What is your major and why?

Purvis: Communications. When I’m done playing basketball I want to get into just speaking and different things of that nature. I want to get in front of the microphone like you guys (media) one day on the TV screen. I just felt like taking the many public speaking classes that I have and the different things and the requirements that I need, I felt it would be beneficial to major in communications and get my speech right so I can be able to talk well and articulate well.

DeCarlo: Who was your favorite player in the NBA growing up?

Purvis: Growing up, Dwyane Wade.

DeCarlo: How about now?

Purvis: Russell Westbrook. I feel like he has taken the same torch and the tenacities that Dwyane Wade played with and that’s what he plays with now. I like those type of guys because that’s the tenacity that I try to play with.

DeCarlo: What is your favorite shoe to play in?

Purvis: My teammates get on me all the time because I have a lot of Jordans but I never wear them. I wear the generic Nikes, LeBrons, the (Zoom) Soldiers because they’re most comfortable on my feet. But I have a lot of variety of different sneakers. But I like the LeBrons.

DeCarlo: Huskies or Teds?

Purvis: I’m not even a bar type of guy but I would say Huskies. There is more space than Teds. I like Teds, too, though.

DeCarlo: What is your favorite memory playing basketball?

Purvis: Probably being nominated for the McDonald’s All-American. That was good.

Elan-Paolo DeCarlo is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men's basketball. He can be reached via email at elan-paolo.decarlo@uconn.edu. He tweets @ElanDeCarlo.