Women's Lacrosse: Huskies declaw Quinnipiac, win 21-0 in rout

In this file photo from April 8, 2015, game against Temple University, sophomore Grace Nolan takes on an opponent. Nolan picked up where she left off last season as Rookie of the Year with seven goals against the Quinnipiac Bobcats. 

The Huskies dominated instate rival Quinnipiac, 21-0, on Wednesday afternoon at the George J. Sherman Family Complex in the team’s season opener.

Right from the start the Bobcats proved to be no match for the Huskies.

Sophomore Grace Nolan picked up right where she left off last season in which she won Big East Rookie of the Year by scoring the first of her seven goals three minutes into the game. Nolan’s seven goals tied UConn’s single-game record.

From then on the Huskies put on a clinic. They were methodical in how they attacked Quinnipiac’s defense. Throughout the game they successfully stretched Quinnipiac’s defense by passing the ball all over the field, which led to them creating big enough gaps for UConn to exploit. UConn had 23 shots on goal to Quinnipiac’s two in the first half.

The Huskies defense was also stellar in their shutout against the Bobcats. The Huskies forced the Bobcats into tough positions that resulted in nine turnovers being committed by the Bobcats. At the end of the first half, the Huskies scored 12 goals and didn’t let one up.

In the second half, UConn was able to put the game on ice thanks in part to them scoring five unanswered goals within the first 10 minutes of the second half. They would score four more before the end of the game and come one goal shy of tying the school record for most goals in a single game that they set against Virginia Tech in 2004. Nolan and Katherine Finkelston led the team in points with eight.

UConn will look to keep this momentum going as they host James Madison on Sunday at home. 

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.