Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies outduel James Madison

Grace Nolan (10) races by two James Madison defenders during UConn's 12-10 victory at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex on Sunday Feb. 21, 2016. Nolan, a sophomore attacker, has 8 goals on the year. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team used timely scoring on Sunday to maintain a perfect record on the season with a 12-10 victory at home over James Madison University.

The Huskies scored three goals in the first five minutes to take a 3-0 lead, but the No. 20 Dukes came roaring back. JMU’s Elena Romesburg sparked the offense by scoring three straight goals that got the visitors back in it.

Both defenses settled in and the scoring came to a pause. Neither team let the other maintain any momentum on offense. Senior attack Katherine Finkelston broke the stalemate to send the Huskies to half with the game tied 5-5.

The two teams traded goals for most of the second half. The game was tied at three separate times as UConn struggled to maintain a lead. The Huskies opened up a late two-goal lead, thanks to junior attacker Jacqueline Jordan. Senior goalkeeper Shannon Nee made three big stops in the last minute to preserve the win, including a highlight-reel kick save.

Finkelston and Jordan led the Huskies offense with four goals each. Grace Nolan, Alyson Fazio, Alexandra Crofts and Ally Tilley also found the back of the net for UConn.

Nee turned in an impressive stat line with 12 saves on 22 shots. She was a nightmare for the Dukes’ offense, making one stellar save after another and picking off countless passes around her net to suppress any sort of momentum for JMU.

The Huskies edged out the Dukes in face offs (13-11) and groundballs (16-15). Both teams combined for 42 turnovers and 44 fouls, making it a very physical game.

With the win, the Huskies improve to 2-0 in the early season. UConn puts their perfect record on the line next Saturday when they travel to Durham, New Hampshire to take on the UNH Wildcats.

Shannon Nee Shines in Win

Senior goalkeeper Shannon Nee spearheaded the UConn defense in their 12-10 victory over the James Madison University Dukes on Sunday.

The JMU offense was ranked 12th in the nation last season, scoring an average of 13.25 goals per game. The Dukes were also coming off an impressive 18-5 win over Virginia Tech. Containing this offense looked to be a tall task for the Huskies.

Nee was a game changer for the Huskies. Making 12 saves on 22 shots, the Pennsylvania-native stood tall when the Huskies needed her most. A majority of the saves were highlight-reel worthy, most notably a mind-blowing kick save with under a minute left. Other saves were timely, and she stifled any semblance of momentum JMU could garner with a big save and a quick clear for the Huskies.

On top of her big saves, Nee was a constant presence outside of the crease, picking off pass after pass. Possessions for the Dukes were cut short numerous times. 

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu.