USG Elections: Eliza Conrad wants to bring more inclusiveness to USG

Eliza Conrad, current student services chairwoman, said she plans to bring a new level of inclusiveness to the Undergraduate Student Government, should she be elected president in this semester’s election. (Courtesy/UConn Undergraduate Student Government)

Eliza Conrad, current student services chairwoman, said she plans to bring a new level of inclusiveness to the Undergraduate Student Government, should she be elected president in this semester’s election.

Conrad said she wishes to help student groups be heard by Senate, “no matter what.” She hopes to increase student group involvement in the direction of USG. 

She began her USG career in her freshman year as a Buckley senator and is now in her third year in student government. In addition to being Student Services chairwoman, she formerly held the position of GUARD Dogs restructuring committee chairwoman. 

“USG isn’t supposed to make up ideas and accomplish things for itself,” Conrad said. 

She said this feeling of inclusiveness is important within the organization itself. She wants the members to feel supported and empowered to start new initiatives and propose legislation. 

Conrad also hopes to extend that outreach to the non-Senate members of the various USG committees. Joy Sgobbo, her running mate and vice chair for Student Services and External Affairs committees, became active in USG as a non-senate member of committees. 

Conrad said her experience on the student services committee and a GUARD dogs restructuring committee prepared her to work both in front of USG and “behind the scenes.”

“I have a lot of experience making an internal structure work by evealuating all options and seeing if something will run smoothly, which is kind of the unseen side of the president of USG,” she said. “You’re making sure everything is moving the way it should and it isn’t about you, it’s about the org.”

She said the key to her plan to make USG successful is to open up communication between students and USG and through them, the school administration. She plans to accomplish this by opening USG to non-senate committee members and

“I think students need to have better communication with the administration. The administration could really open their ears to students and I think a better realationship could be built because of that,” Conrad said. “USG could do a lot better with students if we could listen to them more and if students wanted to talk to us.”

Nicholas Shigo is associate news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nicholas.shigo@uconn.edu.