Women's Basketball: One last stop before Senior Day

Guard Moriah Jefferson points out a pick during UConn's 88-34 victory over Cincinnati at Gampel Pavilion. Jefferson had 11 points off the bench. (Ashley Maher/The Daily Campus)

The No. 1 UConn Huskies will look to remain unbeaten in the American Athletic Conference when they host the SMU Mustangs as they begin their final home stand of the season.

Before a Senior Day on Saturday that is sure to be emotional, the Huskies will still have to take care of business against SMU. The ability to play back-to-back games in Gampel Pavilion has been rare for the Huskies this season.

“It will be good. I feel like we haven’t played here at all this year,” Jefferson said. “We’ve had a couple games but we haven’t been able to play here back to back so just to be able to stay here now until the actual tournament starts will be good for us.”

Whether at home or on the road, UConn has dominated the American this entire season and they will look to win their 64th straight game. The Huskies enter this game outscoring opponents by an average of 40.3 points.

This week of practice has been from ordinary for UConn players. The Huskies benefited from the chance to watch the three-day USA basketball training camp that took place in Storrs. Current Husky Breanna Stewart was the only collegiate player to participate in the training camp that will help determine the 12-player roster for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

The senior Stewart certainly earned the invitation to the training camp with her play on the court this season. Stewart is in the middle of another incredible season. Averaging 19.5 points per game and 8.4 rebounds, Stewart will be a matchup nightmare for SMU.

Having the opportunity to watch the training camp also proved valuable to senior guard Moriah Jefferson.

“I was really watching the guards and how confident they are in their play,” Jefferson said. “I definitely learned a lot sitting there. They were running a lot of stuff that we run so just seeing the way that they took their approach to it.”

Jefferson will have the chance to move up in the UConn record books. Jefferson, who currently sits in 26th place on UConn’s all-time scoring list with 1408 points, has the chance to move all the way up to 24th place. Jefferson currently trails Peggy Walsh, the owner of the 24th spot, by five points.

It is likely that Jefferson will be able to reach the milestone against SMU, as she has been averaging 13.6 points per game.

Freshman Katie Lou Samuelson was just named American Conference Freshman of the Week for the third time this season. Samuelson is coming off a 19 point performance against East Carolina where she made four three pointers. Samuelson leads the team in made three point field goals this season with 47. She is shooting 34 percent from three-point range.

UConn won the first matchup between these to teams when they defeated SMU 90-37 on Jan. 23. The Huskies are looking to improve to 6-0 all-time against the Mustangs.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu.