Women's Basketball: Huskies set for Senior Day showdown against Tulane

UConn women's basketball senior forward Breanna Stewart goes up for a layup during the Huskies' game against SMU at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016. (Rebecca Newman/The Daily Campus)

One of the most dominant classes in the history of college basketball will be honored Saturday afternoon as the seniors from the UConn women’s basketball team will participate in the annual Senior Day ceremony prior to taking on Tulane at Gampel Pavilion.

“It’s kind of crazy that it’s Senior Night and it’s here and it’s going to be not the last game but one of the last games that I play in this building,” senior point guard Moriah Jefferson said. “It’ll be fun, my friends and family will be here, get to kind of say goodbye to all the fans and just come out and try and play my best game.”

Seniors Breanna Stewart, Jefferson, Morgan Tuck and Briana Pulido will be honored in their penultimate game at Gampel. Since stepping onto campus four years ago, the class has gone 140-5 (and counting), won three regular season titles, three conference championships and three consecutive national championships, with their eyes set on a record-breaking fourth-straight national title.

It’s hard to think that four years went by this fast. I think over the time we’ve been here we’ve been able to do a lot of great things so hopefully we can end it right.
— UConn women's basketball forward Morgan Tuck

“I’m looking forward to it, I think it’s going to be really exciting and fun, probably emotional,” Stewart said of Senior Day. “It’s celebrating our four years here…I’m at the top of the list of most likely to get emotional. We’ll see if I can hold it together, probably not.”

While Tuck still has one year of eligibility remaining, she has elected to participate in Senior Day activities but has not yet made a decision as to whether she will return to UConn next season or leave to play in the WNBA.

“It’s hard to think that four years went by this fast,” Tuck said. “I think over the time we’ve been here we’ve been able to do a lot of great things so hopefully we can end it right.”

The senior class and the rest of the top-ranked Huskies (27-0, 16-0 the American) face off against a Green Wave team that is in search of their 20th win this season. Tulane (19-9, 10-6 the American) heads to Gampel coming off a five-point road loss to Temple and currently sit in fourth place in the American Athletic Conference standings.

Senior Day won’t be the last game at Gampel for the four seniors. The Huskies still have one more regular season game at Gampel against USF, not to mention the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. Regardless, Senior Day will serve its purpose, allowing fans to celebrate and congratulate the four seniors on their careers, as well as allow the players and coaches to reflect on their achievements.

“Obviously Saturday is a big day for the players, for their families, even though it used to be like your last home game and then you go some place and play, I always think of what it means to their families,” Auriemma said. “It’s pretty gratifying. You feel good that all the stuff you talked about with their parents during the home visit, most of it came true, and that to me is what Senior Night is about. That’s what I remember all the time."

Daniel Madigan is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.