Women's Lacrosse: UConn stays undefeated with win over UNH

The UConn lacrosse team improved to 3-0 on the season with a victory on Saturday over UNH. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

UConn extended their undefeated season on Saturday with a 13-7 victory at the University of New Hampshire. Seniors Alyson Fazio and Katherine Finkelston led the team with four goals each. Just two minutes in, senior Captain Alexandra Crofts and sophomore Kelsey Catalano scored to start out of the gate with a 2-0 lead.

It wasn’t until the fourth minute that the Bobcats answered the Huskies with their own goal by senior Devon Miller to close the gap to 2-1. Then, the Huskies went on a twelve minute, 4-0 run to stretch their lead to five and the score to 6-1. Three of the four goals were scored, the other by Katherine Finkelston. The Bobcats were finally able to stop the Huskies run at the nineteen-minute mark with a goal by freshman Catherine Sexton to reduce the point gap to four. At this point the score is 6-2.

However, that was the last hope the Bobcats had to make the game competitive. TheHuskies would pull away and never let the Bobcats make a comeback. Before halftime, UConn would score four more goals, three by Katherine Finkelston and one by Alexandra Crofts. By the half, the score was UConn 10, UNH 4.

In the second half, Carly Palmucci, Grace Nolan and Alyson Fazio would all score the first three goals of the half to make the score 13-4 and keep the game out of reach of the Bobcats. Even though the Bobcats were able to score three unanswered goals in the last fifteen minutes, it wasn’t enough to beat the red hot Huskies. The Huskies ended up winning the game 13-7.

The Huskies hope to keep this streak going as they go down to Piscataway, N.J. to take on Scarlet Knights of Rutgers on Saturday, March 5 at 1 p.m. 

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.