The best way for graduates to build a career? Confidence.

Students looking to start their careers may not be as confident as they want to be when going into their new careers, but there are ways to develop that career self-assurance. (Flazingo Photos/Creative Commons)

Students looking to start their careers may not be as confident as they want to be when going into their new careers, but there are ways to develop that career self-assurance.

Building career confidence can be a two-step process, which also serves to get rid of self-doubt, according to Forbes.

“When your confidence starts to ebb in your job search it’s probably not about reality,” according to US News. “It’s about the lens through which you’re looking at reality.”

One way to boost confidence is to ask others who know you well, whether they are friends, family or coworkers, to tell you some tasks that you excel at, according to US News.

Another way to build confidence and get rid of self-doubt, according to US News, is to become courageous and to develop some capabilities.

“It’s not ‘I need to be confident to take action,’” according the US News article,“but more ‘I need to take action to be confident.’”

Stephanie Gaete, a senior sociology and political science major, feels there is more skepticism than confidence when looking for a job.

“I’ve kind of given up,” Gaete said. “I feel like everyone who is graduating as a senior has kind of been told that it’s really hard to find a job. So, that brings the expectations lower. So now, I kind of see me as not finding a job as not that much of a big deal. It’s not that I personally do not want to find one, but I feel that society- wise, it’s already against us.”

Gaetes also said that finding something that a student may be passionate in is not always the go- to path.

“What I don’t want to do is accept a job that has nothing to do with what I want to do,” Gaete said. “I feel like anyone can find a job after they graduate, but I feel like they have to sacrifice what they really want to do in life.”

For junior Tina Patel, a molecular and cell biology and human rights major, confidence is all about finding something you are passionate about.

“I guess that as long as you want to really do what you are interviewing for, then I think that you will do well,” she said. “As long as you are going to be passionate about it, really want to work hard and succeed, then you should be confident going into that career.”

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu.