Tutoring for free, courtesy of education-tech company Course Hero

Above, a student does her homework. Course Hero, an educational technology company. offers online tutoring and is giving out $1 million, spread over up to 100,000 recipients, in tutoring services. (Flickr/Robert Couse-Baker)

Course Hero, an educational technology company, is giving away $1 million in personal tutoring to college and university students. The University of Connecticut is one of many eligible schools across the country where students can enter to win.

As many as 10,000 students across the globe will have a chance to win 100 dollars worth of tutoring credit.

“You can ask a question for as little as $3,” said Andrew Grauer, CEO of Course Hero. “The way that this service works is based on pricing out questions and we think questions and answers are fundamental building blocks to learning and to classes and to the lives of students and teachers.”

Course Hero is an online tutoring service that allows students at participating schools to connect with tutors and access study guides and tips for various courses.

“We believe everyone should have a personal tutor and we think this is a great way to try and make this a reality,” Grauer said.

Many students don’t have the access, the funds or the time to use additional educational services. The $1 million giveaway is a way to minimize restrictions and make tutoring more accessible, according to Grauer.

“I think Course Hero sounds like a great tool for extra help in your classes. Not a lot of people have the time to see tutors, so this sounds like a great opportunity,” said Julia Gannon, a second-semester pre-teaching major.

“Not every student can get private tutoring and we really think this could help a lot of students get the most out of their classes and the most out of their education,” Grauer said. “In addition, there are so many issues of getting good help when you need it for students who aren’t even necessarily on financial aid.”

Thousands of tutors are signed up directly on Course Hero, allowing the tutoring service to be offered 24/7.

“The tutors are locally in Connecticut, or at UConn, around the U.S. or around the world,” Grauer said. “And they tutor in hundreds of subjects whether it’s STEM, to business of the humanities.”

Tutors can be accessed in less than 15 minutes, with no need for scheduling or waiting in line.

“Whether its 11p.m. and you're working on a homework assignment and you're stuck on a tough problem, or if you’re studying for a test, you’ll be connected to a tutor,” Grauer said.

Students today are busy with many other extracurricular activities such as music, sports or a job. Course Hero aims to help students learn more efficiently and deeply and on their own schedule, Grauer said.

The giveaway will continue until May 2, or until the $1 million is given to the 10,000 students.

“Even if students apply and don’t win, they can still go online to Course Hero and check out all the other study resources, advice and flashcards that can help them with their courses at UConn or at any school across the US and the globe,” Grauer said.

A video posted by Course Hero, which is giving $1 million of access to 100 schools acorss the country. (Courtesy/Course Hero Vimeo)

Brenna Kelly is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at brenna.kelly@uconn.edu.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story said up to 100,000 students could win. Only up to 10,000 can win.