Women's Basketball: A 'Big Easy' win

Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma calls out from the bench in the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Tulane in New Orleans, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016. Connecticut won 96-38. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Breanna Stewart became the second-highest scorer in UConn history Wednesday night as the No. 1 Huskies defeated Tulane 96-38 in New Orleans.

Stewart’s 20-point performance was enough to move her past Tina Charles’ 2,346 points on UConn’s all-time scoring list, finishing the night with 2,351 points.

Moriah Jefferson also made history herself as she moved into third place on UConn’s all-time steals list. Her six-steal effort put her ahead of Maya Moore (310 steals). Jefferson also had 16 points, six assists and five rebounds

The Huskies also benefited from the return of Morgan Tuck who played in her first game since Jan. 16. Tuck scored 11 points with five rebounds in 16 minutes in her return to the court. This game served as a tune-up for Tuck as the Huskies prepare to play No. 2 South Carolina on Monday.

The first quarter started with the Huskies taking control right away. Stewart found herself open for three straight mid-range jumpers that gave the Huskies a 6-0 lead out of the gate.

UConn also found Tuck in the early going, as she scored four quick points that gave the Huskies a 14-2 lead heading into the first media timeout with 4:43 to go in the first quarter.

The Huskies closed out the quarter on a strong note with their suffocating defense. UConn forced 11 turnovers and scored 18 points off of those turnovers.

At the end of the first quarter, UConn held a 30-8 lead thanks to 14 points from Stewart.

UConn did not slow down in the second quarter as turnovers continued to lead to quick points. A three-pointer from Jefferson capped off a 9-0 run to open the period and force Tulane to call a timeout less than two minutes in.

The Huskies finished the quarter on a 19-4 run to enter the half leading 63-20. The 63 points was the most UConn has scored in a half this season. It was particularly impressive considering that Tulane entered the game allowing 60.6 points per game, the second lowest total in the American.

Stewart led all scorers at the half with 18 points.

The Huskies did not let off the gas in the third quarter as they kept the defensive pressure up on Tulane. Tulane scored just four points in the third quarter and they finished the shooting just one for their last 10 attempts. UConn led 81-24 at the end of the period.

Leslie Vorpahl was the leading scorer for Tulane with 11 points. Tulane shot just 29 percent from the field as a team.

With Tuck returning to the lineup, Gabby Williams returned to her role off the bench. Williams was still effective, scoring 15 points with six rebounds.

UConn shot 60 percent from the field as a team and had six players reach double figures in scoring.