HuskyCareerLink, LinkedIn among tools available for job searching seniors

If you are a senior who is job searching you have probably heard of LinkedIn or HuskyCareerLink, but at the Center for Career Development (CCD) there are other resources that are available to you. (Nan Palmero/Creative Commons)

If you are a senior who is job searching you have probably heard of LinkedIn or HuskyCareerLink, but at the Center for Career Development (CCD) there are other resources that are available to you.

HuskyCareerLink is a site available through the CCD website that can be used to find jobs, and also to connect with employers and schedule on-campus interviews, CCD assistant director of programming Lee Hameroff said. 

“Companies that participate in on-campus interviewing generally do so each semester and have a track record for hiring UConn students,” he said.

LinkedIn is used for company research, networking and job searching, Hameroff said. The CCD offers programs that help students improve their profiles and teaches students how to network, he said.

“Seniors that have spent four years making connections with students, faculty, staff, internship coordinators, research partners and more can connect with these folks on LinkedIn to actively network these connections to search for work,” Hameroff said.

One major resource that is available through CCD is HuskyCareerPrep (HCP), Hameroff said. HCP is a tool that provides its users with resources in career exploration, planning, company research and professional writing, according to the CCD website. O*Net is one of the resources that is available through HCP, Hameroff said.

O*Net is the nation’s primary source of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors whose database is updated by evaluating workers from each occupation, Hameroff said.

“This is the place to go for seniors who are still researching and indentifying opportunities for work,” Hameroff said. “O*Net job summaries include general task descriptions, the tools and technology required for a job, salary information, generally required for a job, generally required transferable skills and abilities and education requirements.”

Other resources that are available through the CCD website are InterviewStream and Going Global, Hameroff said.

InterviewStream is an online interviewing tool that can answer general and industry specific interview questions, allows its users to record a practice interview and can send it to a career counselor for feedback, according to the CCD website.

“They [students] can record a virtual interview CCD staff can assess it and set up a meeting to talk about strategies for improvement,” Hameroff said.

Students who are looking for jobs abroad can use Going Global, Hameroff said. Going Globals is a tool that has over 80,000 pages of employment resources and world wide job and internship postings.

“Seniors are busy and the CCD wants to make sure they have access to important content which has only traditionally been available through in-person presentations,” Hameroff said. “This content can help give seniors ideas as to where to search for jobs and how to prepare for the search.”