Football: 2016 schedule announced

Bob Diaco leads UConn out of the tunnel at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field on Oct. 17, 2015 Football vs. USF (Ashley Maher/The Daily Campus)

The American Athletic Conference announced the full schedule for the 2016 football season on Tuesday morning.

Fresh off a bowl game appearance, UConn has a fairly exciting schedule in 2016 where they will play five teams that went to bowl games and three that were ranked or received votes in the final college football polls.

“I am very excited about our 2016 UConn football schedule for both our team and UConn Nation,” UConn head coach Bob Diaco said in a press release. “We have seven great home games and the American Athletic Conference will be as spectacular this year as it was last year. In addition, we have a challenging non-conference schedule against regional teams which provides even more energy for our program and fans.”

UConn will play seven games at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field and five on the road. The Huskies will play eight games within the American, three games against teams in the Atlantic Coast Conference and one game against Maine, who is apart of the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Huskies open the season when they host Maine on September 1, a Thursday night. Maine is apart of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and has made the playoffs in two of the last five seasons.

Then UConn jumps into conference play. The Huskies will travel to play Navy on September 10.

The Huskies will host Virginia (September 17) and Syracuse (September 24). UConn holds a 1-1 record against the Cavaliers and a 5-4 edge against the Orange.

A stretch of six straight conference games will follow the Syracuse game. The Huskies will travel to Houston (October 1), South Florida (October 15) and East Carolina (October 29). And they’ll host Cincinnati (October 8), Central Florida (October 22) and Temple (November 5).

The Huskies bye week will be November 12.

UConn’s last non-conference game of the season will be at Boston College on November 19. It will be the first meeting of the two teams since 2004.

UConn will round out its 2016 regular season schedule against Tulane on November 26.

Game times and television plans will be announced at a later date. 

Matt Zampini is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men's basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.zampini@uconn.edu. He tweets@Mattt_Zamp.