Grammy Award nominations released, but which artists should win?

In this Oct. 24, 2015 file photo, Rihanna performs at the 2015 We Can Survive Concert at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles. Rihanna will perform at the Grammy Awards on Feb. 15, 2016. (Photo by Rich Fury/Invision/AP, File)

The Grammy Award nominations have been released on the organization’s website. The list features the most acclaimed and popular songs, albums and performances of the past year.

The Grammy Awards will air on Feb. 15 at 8 p.m. on CBS, during which these artists will have their opportunity to take home the coveted golden stereo.

As for some of the larger nominations, the nominations for Record of the Year are: “Really Love” by D’Angelo And The Vanguard, “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson Featuring Bruno Mars, “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran, “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift and “Can’t Feel My Face” by The Weeknd.

Nominations for Album of the Year are: “Sound & Color” by Alabama Shakes, “To Pimp A Butterfly” by Kendrick Lamar, “Traveller” by Chris Stapleton, “1989” by Taylor Swift and “Beauty Behind The Madness” by The Weeknd.

The evening will feature performances by Justin Bieber, Diplo, Skrillex, Bonnie Raitt, Chris Stapleton, Gary Clark Jr. as well as the cast of the new Broadway hit “Hamilton.” Best New Artist nominees are Courtney Barnett, James Bay, Sam Hunt, Tori Kelly and Meghan Trainor.

The artists who lead the pack are Kendrick Lamar, with 11 nominations, and Taylor Swift, with seven. Lamar has made history by becoming the rap artist with the most Grammy nominations for one night, surpassing Eminem’s previous record, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Some of the responses on Twitter by the nominated artists were “Omg!! Honored to be in such tremendous company,” from Josh Groban, “I wasn't expecting the Grammy noms, thank you,” from Ed Sheeran and “4 Grammy Nominations! Thank you,” from John Legend.

The nominations feature an eclectic mix of genres and artists ranging from pop, rock, hip-hop, rap, R&B, singer/songwriter, funk, EDM, instrumental, metal, alternative, urban, country, jazz, gospel, roots, folk and the list goes on.

One of the more surprising and unconventional nominations is Drake’s diss track entitled “Back To Back,” which was in response to and directed towards Meek Mill, nominated under the category of Best Rap Performance.

Amongst the Grammy Award nominees are the Special Merit Award recipients for 2016, including John Cage, Celia Cruz, Earth, Wind & Fire, Herbie Hancock, Linda Ronstadt and Run-D.M.C.

Looking back in history, the GRAMMY heavyweights, some of the top recipients, are Georg Solti (31 awards), Quincy Jones (27), Alison Krauss (27), Pierre Boulez (26), Vladimir Horowitz (25), Stevie Wonder (25), Chick Corea (22) and U2 (22).

The Grammy’s, formerly called the Gramophone Awards, was founded by The Recording Academy and began in 1959. According to the official website, the Grammy’s are the only “peer-presented” award ceremony that honors artistic and technical/production achievement without regard to albums sales or chart ranking.

The night is a celebration of all of the top performers and writers within the facets of the music industry. It’s a pinnacle award for any genre and brings together excellence from all different corners of the world.

Brett Steinberg is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brett.steinberg@uconn.edu. He tweets @officialbrett.