Women's Hockey: Huskies split weekend games

Kelly Harris (22) goes to the net during UConn's game against Princeton. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women's hockey team split a pair of games at home, as the Hockey East Conference Tournament nears.

Despite falling to powerhouse Boston College (29-0, 20-0 in Hockey East) in a heartbreaker 5-4 the Huskies fought back to get a win against Providence College( 9-20-1 and 5-14-1 in Hockey East).

First up on Saturday night was Boston College.

The Eagles opened the scoring when Alex Carpenter got a rebound from behind the net and put it in the open goal past Chuli.

UConn had a power play with 8:06 remaining in the second that BC killed it off, but immediately after there is a scramble near the net Theresa Knutson slid the puck past goalie for the equalizer at 7:04 remaining.

“I’m proud of the effort from our team, they’re undefeated for a reason: they're very good,” said head coach Chris MacKenzie.

BC was off to a strong start early in the second, but after a string of shots by UConn and a mistake by Boston College goaltender Katie Burt, the Huskies tied it up as Elizabeth Harris knocked in a rebond. The Eagles challenged the play but the goal was upheld, as the Huskies took the lead 2-1.

This was only the third time the Eagles have trailed all season.

The lead was short lived as Boston College tied the game up on a powerplay as a shot was deflected past goalie Elaine Chuli.

Once again, the Eagles jumped on the power play opportunity as the one of the leading scorer’s in the nation Carpenter once again got one past Chuli.

Penalties started to pile up for UConn, but the Huskies kept it close.

UConn tied it up again with 12 minutes to go in the game on a snipe from the point by Jessica Stott.

BC retook the lead 4-3 with 7:36 remaining and then furthered their lead bringing the score to 5-3.

With nothing to lose, coach MacKenzie pulled his goalie as the Huskies were on the powerplay and scored, bringing the Huskies within one score.

Despite their efforts, UConn could not complete the comeback.

“After a really emotional game last night I was happy with how we came out with two goals in five minutes, so that was great,” MacKenzie said.

On Sunday the Huskies welcomed Providence.

UConn go off to an early lead scoring in the first three minutes through Rebecka Lindblad. The Huskies were on the attack for much of the first period.

In the second period the game was much more back and forth as both teams scored. Justine Fredette notched the goal for the Huskies.

Deep in the third the Friar’s pulled their keeper as they went for the tie but UConn got the puck back and Margaret Zimmer fired a long range shot the seal the game for the Huskies.

“I think as a group we feel pretty good we are in fourth place right now so I think that's a pretty good spot the top three teams are really strong,” Chuli said.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.