Women's Lacrosse: UConn off to undefeated start

At 4-0, the UConn lacrosse team is off to their best start since the 2013 season. The Huskies have wins over Quinnipiac, James Madison, New Hampshire, and Rutgers. UConn has been rewarded for their hot start; they currently sit at No. 20 in the nation according to the latest IWLCA poll.

How have the Huskies done it? What’s the reason behind this impressive start? According to senior goaltender Shannon Nee, it all started in the preseason.

“We came into the season following the best preseason we’ve ever had in the four years I’ve been here,” said Nee. “We realized the potential we have and we changed our mentality, instead of going into games to win, we have been going in to compete.”

Nee has been a big part of UConn’s success so far. The Pennsylvania native was already named Big East Defender of the Week twice in the young season, but she gives all the credit to her defense.

“Everything I get, awards, nominations, and all that, are the outcome of the defense. The fact that I’ve gotten back-to-back awards means that my defense is working their butts off to get the shooters to take a shot I can save.”

Nee hasn’t been the only Husky receiving accolades. Senior attacker Kate Finkelston has also earned two consecutive Big East weekly awards for her play on the other side of the field. For Finkelston, this start has been all she could ask for.

“It’s absolutely unreal. Our freshman year [2013] we started out great. We’ve had our sights set on that,” said Finkelston. “The feeling is outstanding. We know what we can do.”

In four games this season, the Huskies have outscored opponents 60-28; obviously the stat is skewered by a 21-0 rout of the Quinnipiac Bobcats, but an impressive stat nonetheless. The UConn offense is so lethal that all three Big East Attacker of the Week awards given out so far all belong to Huskies. Two for Finkelston, and the latest went to sophomore Grace Nolan.

“It says we’re very strong,” said Finkelston. “We have multiple people that can bring it home. It’s reassuring knowing this team has so many different players that can perform that way.”

As for the rest of the way, Finkelston believes there is no limit for what this UConn team can do.

“I know as a team our goal is to make it back to the NCAA tournament without a doubt. We just want to make sure we’re in,” said Finkelston. “If we get in, then there’s no limit, we get as far as we can. We’re going to try and win it all.”

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu.