Women's Lacrosse: Huskies host UMass for biggest game yet

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will welcome the UMass Minutemen to Storrs on Saturday for what should be their toughest test yet.

UConn is looking to go 5-0 for the first time since 2013, when the Huskies won six straight to start the season. Head coach Katie Woods credits the hot start to veteran experience.

“We’re playing with confidence,” Woods said. “We have eleven seniors who have been playing in the system for four years now. They know what they have to do.”

The Minutemen are coming into Saturday fresh off of their first loss of the season, a 9-8 loss at the hands of fourteenth ranked Boston College. The defeat brought UMass to a record of 4-1, with wins over Holy Cross, New Hampshire, Boston University and Yale. 

UConn has played the Minutemen every season since 2013 and dropped every contest. Last year’s loss came in double overtime. This game is the seniors’ last chance to get a win against UMass, and it isn’t something they’re taking lightly. 

“There’s a lot of energy,” senior attacker Kate Finkelston said. “As a senior class, we’re revved up, and the rest of the team will be too. We’re on track to get the job done, I can’t wait.”

To come out with a win Saturday, the Huskies will have to be wary of Erika Eipp. Eipp leads UMass in points with 10 goals and 13 assists; she is also a member of the Teewaaraton watch list. But for Coach Woods, the Huskies are focused on themselves.

“UMass is talented,” Woods said. “The biggest thing for us Saturday is to take care of the ball better than we have. But we also need to stick to our game plan and worry about what we can control, not worry about what they’ll throw at us.”

Senior goalkeeper Shannon Nee echoed Woods’ comments.

“They’re going to be the toughest competition we’ve seen so far this year, so we really need to go in playing our game,” Nee said. “Our biggest opponent is ourselves.  If we control how we play and show up to compete then everything else will fall into place. “

The face off is slated for 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu.