Confessions of a Fashionista: Oscar night feats and fails

This Oscar Sunday was all about firsts. The first time Leo won an award, the first time Chris Rock truly found a way to make every audience member uncomfortable at some point and the first time I couldn’t decide what my favorite outfit of the night was.

Although I couldn’t pick a favorite, choosing the worst really wasn’t that hard. It’s definitely a hard tie between Heidi Klume’s Marchesa gown which truly looks as though the Easter Bunny threw up cotton candy, or Kate Winslet (as much as it pains me to say) who was dressed as though she threw on a trash bag five minutes before she walked out the door.

Ironically both of these women don’t have a history of major faux pas on the red carpet, but somehow this year they just couldn’t make it work.

Heidi’s look reminded me of a child who was dressed up by her mother who is clearly stuck in the fifties, and it wasn’t just the dress but the makeup and accessories as well, that were not flattering and definitely not her best look.

Kate is always perfection, truly in every way and I’m not just saying that because her and Leo’s relationship is everyone’s friendship goals. On-Screen she always nails it but somehow she chose a dress that was distracting and didn’t look as sophisticated and classy as she always does.

Now, enough of the red carpet mishaps. Never in my entire life of watching these red carpet events have I had trouble spotting who my favorite look of the night was.

This year however, was a game changer. Lately all of my favorite trends that used to be considered trending, made their way onto runways all over fashion week and of course the Oscars red carpet.

I’m a sucker for an open back or a halter neckline which by default made Rachel McAdams in August Getty Atelier my top choice of the night, it was a close tie though. What truly pushed her over the top was that gorgeous teal color that looked absolutely amazing with her blue eyes and blonde hair. Not many people can rock the halter neckline combined with an open back but she rocked it effortlessly. Not to mention the thigh high slit that showed off her beautiful Stuart Weitzman heels was icing on the cake.

The runner up for best dressed was Lady Gaga. That custom white pant suit made by her stylist Brandon Maxwell,  was a look that no one besides her could’ve pulled off. Her look was everything with her “Till it Happens to You” performance that night. There’s nothing I love more than when she tones down her outfits and lets her talent shine without all the extra fuss that her ensembles in the past have caused (cue the meat dress circa 2010 MTV Music Awards). This outfit was the perfect way to gracefully shine the light on her performance that brought awareness to so many victims of sexual assault. 10 out of 10 for Lady Gaga.

Although Chris Rock made a comment Sunday night about how everyone focuses on what the women wear rather than the men because the men wear the exact same thing, I’m forced to disagree. Any guy can wear a suit, but not every guy knows how.

Eddie Redmayne and Jacob Tremblay however definitely need to start handing out tips. The fit on Eddie’s suit was perfection, and bonus points for the slim leg highlighting the suede loafers. But who can forget the adorable Jacob Tremblay? He nailed his breakout role in “The Room” but he can definitely add fashion forward to his resume after Sunday night.

We can finally check Oscar season off the list of most anticipated red carpet events. But I’m not going to lie, this just gets me even more excited about what to expect next season. Consider next year's style standards raised. 

Michelle Marquez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at michelle.marquez@uconn.edu