UConn ranked a top school for military students

The Military Student Oasis, located on the second floor of the Student Union. The University of Connecticut has been ranked a top school for students in the military by SR Education Group. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus) 

The University of Connecticut has been ranked a top school for students in the military by SR Education Group, but this is not the first time that it has received that recognition.

“Our programs and support for this student population are only increasing, so I would expect to see UConn continue to be recognized as one of the best at on-campus support for military-connected students,” director of the Office Veteran Affairs and Military Programs (VAMP) Kristopher Perry said.

UConn has been ranked highly as a military friendly school by other organizations as well, he said. The three organizations are Best for Vets, Military Advanced Education and Military Friendly Schools, Perry said.

“Each organization has ranked us at or near the top of university support to military-connected students for three years in a row,” Perry said. “Our programs and support for this student population are only increasing, so I would expect to see UConn continue to be recognized as one of the best at on-campus support for military-connected students.”

At UConn there is a focus on supporting the needs of student veterans, and this starts at the top of the organization, Perry said.

“This university is absolutely committed to providing world-class support to its military-connected student population, from the BOT [board of trustees], to the President, to the Provost’s office and across all academic and staff organizations on campus,” he said.

Another reason why UConn is military-friendly is because it has military-and-veteran themed programs, veterans program director Samuel Surowitz said.  The university also has areas that veterans can use for studying and socializing, Perry said.

“UConn provides two areas on main campus for student veterans to meet, socialize, relax and be among other veterans,” Perry said. 

VAMP also has study areas, computer labs and programs that are focused toward student veterans, he said.

“We have an excellent dedicated staff for veterans benefits and programs,” Surowitz said. “We have an active Veteran Student Organization that is involved in veterans advocacy at the state level and we organize volunteer events and social outings.”

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrland