DC Eats: College-style calzones

Welcome to the first edition of "DC Eats," a food-focused Daily Campus mini series designed to take you through the ins and outs of cooking on a college budget.

All of the recipes featured in "DC Eats" will be cheap, quick and easy. As in, pick up the ingredients at the closest grocery store and whip them together in your lightly equipped college apartment. Step by step, "DC Eats" is here to deliver budget-friendly, student-friendly entrees from Celeron to Clubhouse, from Carriage to the Oaks.

We begin with college-style calzones: both a buffalo chicken recipe and a vegetarian option of spinach and ricotta.

Follow along as our resident Chef Master Supreme Margaux Ancel whips up your next dinner.

Spinach Ricotta Calzone

Ingredients:

1 tin of pizza crust (makes 2 calzones)

1 cup of mozzarella cheese

3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese

1 and a half cup of spinach

2 tablespoons of marinara sauce

1 egg (for 2 calzones)

1 cup of flour (for 2 calzones)

Directions:

-Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

-Roll out the dough from the tin. Expend and stretch it, without overstretching it or it will tear. Cut the dough in half, set one aside.

-Grease a baking sheet and place the first square on top of it, in the center.

-Start cooking the spinach on low heat with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the spinach has reduced to a quarter of its size, paying attention to it so you don’t burn it.

-Spread the ricotta cheese over half of the dough, add the spinach, marinara sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over it. Add about a teaspoon of my ‘secret’ ingredient if desired.

-Fold the other half over it. Press the corners down with a fork to keep it closed.

-Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Buffalo Chicken Calzone

Ingredients:

1 tin of pizza crust (makes 2 calzones)

2-3 chicken strips

1 cup of cheddar

3 tablespoons of hot sauce

Ranch

1 cup of breadcrumbs

1 egg (for 2 calzones)

1 cup of flour (for 2 calzones)

1 teaspoon of garlic powder

1/4 cup of grated parmesan

Secret ingredient: McCormick’s Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning (paprika, salt, black and red pepper, parsley and green peppers.)

Directions:

-Using the second half of the dough, place it in the middle of a greased baking sheet.

-Start by taking the chicken cutlets, dipping them in the eggs, (pre mixed as if you were making an omelet), then dip them in another bowl with the flour, then dip them back in the eggs, and drop them in the breadcrumbs making sure to cover them entirely.

Margaux Ancel's buffalo chicken calzone just before it's folded in half and placed in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. (Jackson Haigis/Daily Campus)

-Repeat the process with all the chicken strips, then cook them over medium in a pan with some olive oil until they are no longer pink in the center and golden brown on the outside.

-Spread some ranch, cheddar and mozzarella on half of the dough. Cut up the chicken and add the pieces on top of the cheese. Spread the tablespoons of hot sauce. Add more cheddar or mozzarella to you liking. Complete with about a teaspoon of my ‘secret’ ingredient if desired.

-Fold the dough over, Press the corners down with a fork to keep it closed.

Cheyenne Haslett is a staff writer and digital producer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at cheyenne.haslett@uconn.edu. She tweets @CheyHaslett.

Jackson Haigis is a staff photographer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jackson.haigis@uconn.edu.

Margaux Ancel is a staff writer for The Daily Campus and resident Chef Master Supreme. She can be reached via email at margaux.ancel@uconn.edu.

Amar Batra, staff photographer, and Erming Gao, staff photographer, contributed to this project. They can be reached at amar.batra@uconn.edu and erming.gao@uconn.edu.