UConn officials will propose closing of Torrington campus

The Academic Affairs Committee of UConn's Board of Trustees will meet with University of Connecticut officials to discuss closing the Torrington campus. (Photo courtesy of Torrington.UConn.edu)

University of Connecticut officials will recommend closing the Torrington campus at Wednesday's meeting of the board of trustees academic affairs committee, according to university spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz.

The committee will have the option of forwarding the recommendation to the full board of trustees, which will have the opportunity to discuss the closure of the branch at its April 27 meeting.

"The rationale for this difficult decision is based on the combination of significantly reduced financial resources and Torrington’s declining enrollment,” Provost Mun Choi said in an email to UConn Torrington students, faculty and staff.

There are currently only 88 full-time students enrolled at Torrington’s campus, Choi said. Undergraduate enrollment has decreased by 13.6 percent since 2011, and the number of potential applicants from northern Connecticut schools dropped almost eight percent since 2007, according to Reitz. A third of the branch’s students take courses at other UConn campuses or at another institution.

“The insufficient student enrollment at the campus – which reflects regional demographics – prevents it from offering the range and quality of academic programs and student services the university provides on all of its other campuses,” Reitz said.

University officials are committed to the maintenance of the Agricultural Extension facility and programs in Torrington, and will provide academic advising and counseling to all current UConn Torrington students about next steps for their degree completion, according to the provost. There will also be meetings for students, faculty and staff in the coming weeks to provide additional information about the possible transition.

“In the event the proposal to close the Torrington campus is approved by the board of trustees, we will communicate that to you immediately and accommodate all enrolled students at other regional campus locations and advise students of all of their options in a timely manner,” Choi said.

The academic affairs committee meeting is on Wednesday, March 30 at 9 a.m. No decision will be made regarding the official closing of the Torrington campus during this meeting.

Megan Krementowski is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.