Men's Basketball: Sam Cassell Jr. to transfer

Guard Sam Cassell Jr. dribbles up the court during UConn's preseason game against New Haven at the XL Center on Nov. 7, 2015. Cassell Jr. will transfer, according to a report from CBS Sports. (Ashley Maher/The Daily Campus)

UConn redshirt junior Sam Cassell Jr. will transfer, according to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.

Cassell Jr. will graduate from UConn in May and will be eligible to play right away as a graduate transfer, according to Rothstein.

Cassell Jr. came to UConn with three years of eligibility remaining. Prior to coming to Storrs, the Baltimore, Maryland native played one season at Chipola College in Florida where he was named First Team All-American by National Junior College Athletic Association and Panhandle All-Conference.

In 2014-15, his season was cut short due to a stress fracture in his right ankle. He played in 18 games, starting in two, before the injury ended his season. In 2015-16, Cassell Jr. played in 18 games, averaging just 6.6 minutes and 2.2 points per game.

Prior to college, Cassell Jr. had offers from Maryland, Pittsburgh and South Florida, according to ESPN.

Matt Zampini is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men's basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.zampini@uconn.edu. He tweets@Mattt_Zamp.